Damocles; Part 2

The stars are glistening in the sky by the time I find a moment to myself, a moment away from the pleading gazes and painful cries for help. 

It's been hours since Echo had first radioed in, and I keep the radio pinned to my hip in case she calls again, hopefully with some good news. None comes, and as the night continues to wear on, my hope begins to dim. 

The edge of camp is the only quiet place I could find, and my gaze is stuck on the path leading into the gorge, hoping that more stragglers would come out, that there would be more survivors. 

I had to get away from the constant cries for help, the complaints about the lack of food, and water. We have nothing. No one will go back into that gorge, and I can't blame them. The smell of rotting flesh is already becoming ripe in the air, and I can't help but think of all the bodies that will be added to that pile when this is all over. 

The low sound of an engine rumbles in he distance, and I wave off the sound, knowing it's just my ears playing tricks on me, like it has a dozen times before. 

I force my head away from the trail, focusing on the ground in front of me as I heave out a long sigh. The sound grows closer, but I continue to ignore it, convincing myself that it's not real-it can't be. 

On;y when a pair of bright headlights appear in front of me do I jump up, my gun clattering to the ground beside me. I stare, dumbfounded as a rover drives past me, it's tires spinning in the sand as it heads for the camp. 

I blink, my body being bombarded with differing emotions as I watch it stop in the middle of the camp, before I take off, sprinting towards camp. 

Naturally, a large crowd has gathered around the rover, but I hastily shove past them towards the front, earning me a lot of curses and exclaims of shock. 

But I don't mind them as I spot the familiar face I have been waiting for all day. Relief courses through me as I run towards Bellamy, catching him completely by surprise as I nearly send us both hurtling towards the ground. 

I wrap my arms tightly around his neck, breathing him in as he finally manages to get past the surprise of seeing me. His arms loop around me, pulling me closer as he cradles his face in my neck. "I thought you were dead." I breath, nearly choking on the words. "I thought you were dead, and no one would go with me to look for you, and I couldn't leave Roan and-"

"I'm here." He interrupts my rambling, leaning back to look at me as he smiles softly. His hand cradles my cheek, his eyes warm and soft, saying everything I need to hear without uttering a word. He's here. He's alive, and safe. 

"We really need to stop meeting like this." I joke, a small small finding it's way on my face as he lets out a low laugh. The sound catches me off guard, considering it seems like I haven't heard him laugh in weeks. His laugh is music to my ears, and even amidst all the worry and fear, I'm the happiest person alive in that moment

He looks as though he's about to say something, when his eyes harden, looking behind me. I turn, his arm still loosely wrapped around my waist as I look at the crowd behind us. 

"Heda is going to save us."

"She's here to protect us."

"We're saved." 

In the middle of the crowd is Madi, a nervous look on her face as the crowd gets closer. Bellamy and I move with the crowd, until we are standing right in front of her. "What do I do?" She asks meekly, unsure of how to handle the new responsibility that has been thrust upon her shoulders. 

"Bloodreina's coming, protect your commander!" Bellamy tenses beside me as countless guns click and point at the incoming threat, a sword in her hands as she stalks toward Madi.