24. It's Been a While

Day 174

Lucy sat in the lab with Tony and Bruce. She worked on her laptop typing notes for the two scientists. Harley walked into the room carrying the potato gun. He walked over to where Lucy sat and sat in the chair next to her. Tony and Bruce watched as the two 'kids' conversed about the gun. Lucy must've said something because she stood up and walked out of the room. When she returned she was holding a granola bar while eating one of her own. She placed the unwrapped one in front of Harley.

"Fuck," Tony spoke in anger causing Lucy to look at him in confusion.

"What?" she questioned after finishing the bit of the granola bar she was chewing.

"Burnt myself."

"That's why you don't play with fire, kids." Harley and Bruce laughed while Tony stared at Lucy, his face showing no emotion.

"Not funny." Lucy watched her cousin walk over to a sink running cold water over the burn.

"Yes it is."

"God, you're such a kid."

"No I'm not, I'm ninety six. You are the kid."

"Guess it runs in the family." Lucy rolled her eyes before walking out of the room again. She grabbed a small glass out of a cabinet once she got to the sink and filled it with water. She took a sip before turning around. The glass slipped from her fingers shattering when it hit the floor.

"Steve?" she questioned, her eyes meeting his when he turned around. He smiled before taking a few steps forward but ceased when Lucy rushed over to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. It took him a second before he returned the hug. The footsteps behind Steve told Lucy that Tony, Bruce, and Harley walked in possibly from hearing the glass break. Tony crossed his arms at the sight before him. It was a wonder as to why the two weren't dating, yet he saw different personalities in the two. Both were tough, caring, and kind yet Lucy was comical when she wanted to be. Steve cared about the good of the people and seemed like he didn't have time for joking around. He shook his head putting the thoughts in the back of his mind. Lucy pulled away before wiping tears of happiness from her eyes. She had to admit to herself she couldn't stand being without Steve.

"It's been a while," Steve whispered causing the corners of her lips tugged into a smile. Something clicked in Lucy's mind as she realized the other people in the room. She looked behind the Soldier, her eyes stopping on the golden haired boy standing in front of her cousin and Bruce. To Steve, it seemed like the 'young' woman's eyes lit up causing him to look in the same direction she was looking in. Lucy walked over to the boy pulling him over to where Steve was. "Who's this?"

"Steve, this is Harley Keener. I met him after the 'little' jet incident. Harley, this is Steve Rogers. I'm sure you two will get a long." She gave them both a small smile.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Harley," Steve spoke holding his hand out.

Harley shook it, "And you, Mr. Rogers." The Captain chuckled and looked to Lucy.

"I like this kid already. Don't worry about being formal, Harley. You can call me Steve." The kid smiled and nodded. Lucy ruffled his hair before walking over to where the broken glass was. Tony walked over to help her as she began to carefully pick up the broken glass. Later that night Lucy walked out of the lab after finishing notes for Tony and Bruce. She passed by Natasha saying a quick 'good night' before heading to her room. Lucy stopped by Harley's room quickly before continuing. She silently opened the door not knowing anyone was inside. Being the gentle and quiet person she was, she quietly closes the door hearing its soft click. She turned to make eye contact with Steve.

"Shit," he quietly swore to himself as he grabbed for his shirt on the bed. He felt a warm hand on his arm which stopped him. His eyes met with Lucy's concerned ones. She moved her hand to his bandaged torso.

"What happened?" she questioned, her voice barely above a whisper.

"It doesn't matter." Steve grabbed his shirt but was stopped again.

"It matters to me. Steven, what happened?"

"Just a gunshot wound from Hydra. Lu, I don't want you worrying about me."

"Steve-"

"Please." Lucy didn't speak. She kept a concerned gaze on him as he began putting his shirt on. She stopped him for the third time when she noticed his look of pain.

"Steve, stop. You're my best friend. And no matter what you tell me, I'll worry about you." Steve continued pulling his shirt back on before gently grabbing Lucy's hands.

"How can I prove to you I'm all right?" Lucy opened her mouth to say something, but shut it before giving Steve a slightly hurt look.

"I don't know." The Captain brought a hand up to the Agent's cheek lightly rubbing it with his thumb. He slowly brought his face closer to hers closing the space between them. Steve realized Lucy was in shock and he was willing to pull away if she didn't accept the kiss. But as he started to slowly pull away, the girl pressed her lips against his again, slowly bringing her arms around his neck. After a little while, Steve pulled back and looked Lucy in the eyes.

"You're all right, Cap," she spoke with a smile. Steve laughed and rested his forehead against hers.

"You know you weren't my first kiss, right?"

"I know."