20. No Such Thing As Peace

-September-

Day: 72

It seems like a day in the past since the encounter with the sentient. But not too far in the past. Lucy had gotten a prescription of antidepressants from Bruce. Tony hadn't mentioned to the rest of the group that he had built the sentient which he named Ultron, though he was going to. Tony was currently in the lab with Bruce and Lucy waiting for the others to join them for a small group meeting. Steve walked into the room, the others following behind except for Thor.

"What is it that you wanted to tell us, Tony?" Steve questioned as he walked toward the scientists.

Tony began speaking, "That sentient, Ultron... was built by me. I thought I could start a peacekeeping program, but-" Tony was cut off when he was suddenly grabbed by the throat and lifted into the air by Thor who had walked in furiously.

"Of course it didn't work!" Thor exclaimed. Lucy walked toward the two.

"Thor put him down," she advised.

"Just do it, Point Break," Tony spoke through strained breaths. Thor put Tony back on his feet before walking backwards due to Lucy pushing him back for safety. Tony rubbed his neck before he began to speak. "As you saw with Ultron how distorted he looked. I, what you would say, trashed him because every single time I tried fixing him, he broke."

"Is that where worth comes into play?"

"Yes."

"And when were you planning on telling us about this project, Stark?" Steve questioned crossing his arms.

"Actually, that was the reason why called you all to visit in July."

"You know, you owe Lucy and I time off because of that."

"Whatever."

"So why didn't you tell us in July?" Natasha questioned.

"Because of Ultron. I wasn't ready to give you all an explanation after that."

"Right. So you decided to tell us now," Steve spoke sarcastically.

"Hey, I had already told Bruce and Lucy then. Don't get cocky with me, Rogers."

"You tell them, but not us? That doesn't seem right," Clint said.

"What doesn't seem right is why he didn't disassemble the machine in the first place," Thor declared. "Seems like if that happened, we'd all be living in peace."

"There's no such thing as peace," Tony asserted.

"How do you know?" Lucy inquired.

"Have you not seen the news? The wars going on? Everything that's gone on in our past? Everything that's going on now? There's no such thing as peace, Lucy."

"Right. But have you ever tried making peace be a thing? No. So don't say there's no such thing as peace. Sure, the world, let alone America, went to hell after the Depression and World War II, but that doesn't mean no one was trying to make peace."

"Lucy. If you could maybe stop talking, that would be great."

"You want me to stop talking? Then I will. But don't come to me when you need help creating peace for the world." Lucy turned and walked out of the room.

"What did I say, Tony?" Bruce questioned. "She's a part of your family?"

"There's such thing as respect, Tony," Steve spoke.

"Respect? For what?" Tony questioned in anger.

"Women. Family."

"You know, Rogers. You and my cousin need to stop living in the past and think about the future. You two keep your heads in the past clouds, the future clouds will soon knock you out of them, and it will be a long recovery till you get back up and face reality."

"Oh, we've faced reality. Probably more than you have." Steve walked out of the room and found Lucy standing outside. He gently put his arm around her shoulders causing her to get slightly startled before looking up at him. Steve began to walk back to their shared room, bringing Lucy with him. When they walked in, Lucy immediately walked over to the bed and laid down, her face pressed into the pillow. Steve chuckled before laying down next to her. Lucy turned her head to look at him.

"Tired?" Steve asked. The brunette nodded. "Can you sing a song?" Steve felt like a child for asking such a question, but he loved Lucy's voice. Whenever he was sick in bed and supposed to be asleep  when Lucy visited with Bucky, she would sing Steve a song to help him go back to sleep. Lucy smiled before rolling over onto her back and practically into Steve's chest. He put his arm around her stomach as she began to sing.

"See the pyramids along the Nile,
See the sunset from a tropic isle,
Just remember darling all the while,
You belong to me.

See the market place in old Algiers,
Send me photographs and souvenirs,
Just remember when a dream appears,
You belong to me.

And I'll be so alone without you,
Maybe you'll be lonesome too.

Fly the ocean in a silver plane,
See the jungle when it's wet with rain,
Just remember till you're home again,
You belong to me.

I'll be so alone without you,
Maybe you'll be lonesome too.

Fly the ocean in a silver plane,
See the jungle when it's wet with rain,
Just remember till you're home again,
You belong to me."

As Lucy sang, Steve observed her face, noticing little scars that couldn't be seen before. A few faint ones on her cheek, one on her lip. He held her closer, though if there was any possibility of getting any closer, those chances were zero to none. Steve kissed Lucy's forehead when she finished singing.

"Happy birthday, Lucy."