18. The Sketch

It was now June. Lucy was asleep on the couch in the shared apartment due to falling asleep while watching a movie. Steve walked into the kitchen rubbing his eyes going to the refrigerator and pouring a glass of milk. He turned at the sound of the TV still being on, spotting Lucy's foot on the arm of the couch. Abandoning the glass of milk he had just poured, Steve walked over to the couch and moved Lucy allowing him to sit down but her to still sleep. He looked at the TV to see she had been watching "Apollo 13". The brunette began to wake up due to the sudden change of position. Steve looked down to see her awake.

"Good morning, sleepy head," he said.

"Good morning, Stevie," Lucy replied. "Sleep well?"

"Like sleeping on a cloud. How about you?"

"Could've been better."

"I'm guessing you fell asleep during the movie... I have an idea. How about we go out for breakfast?"

"Sounds alright with me. I'd have to change first."

"You do that, I'll deal with this." The two left the apartment when finished getting ready, and went to a local diner. Silence hung between the two after they ordered. Steve took out a pen and began to draw on the back of the paper placemat as Lucy looked out the window. She turned her head at the sound of Steve humming which caused her to look at the sketch.

-1938-

Lucy was working a shift at the diner. Steve had been sitting at the counter drawing on a napkin as the brunette took orders. When he had arrived she had been in such a bad mood, she almost forgot to say 'hello' to her friend or even realize he was there. One of the waitresses, Renée, informed Steve Lucy had been unhappy the minute she walked in due to the news of Ms. Smith's sudden death. He vaguely remembered the older woman's face and features. Greying blonde hair, soft green eyes, the face of a person a child would come to love - motherly, like her personality. Lucy had been fond of the woman mentioning how they had met when Lucy had started working at the diner. Steve thought of the only way he could possibly cheer up his friend which had caused him to begin his sketch. He added the last detail when Lucy walked over to the counter where he sat, sitting down next to him.

"What's up?" Steve asked as he hid the napkin from Lucy's sight though she wasn't looking in his direction, but merely straight ahead.

"The sky," she replied, her childish Stark personality showing slightly with the comment. Steve looked up at Renée who had walked over. She had auburn hair which was a dark enough shade to go with her brown eyes. She was about a year or two older than the blond and brunette duo and thought of them as younger siblings. She gave Steve a warm smile before looking at the brunette.

"Hey, Lucy, your shift ended well over an hour ago," Renée informed to her friend, her southern accent appearing as she spoke. Lucy looked at the auburn haired woman.

"Sorry," she apologized, "Just haven't been myself today. Thank you for reminding me."

"No problem, darling. You should go home and get some rest. At least you have the day off tomorrow. I'll take care of everything for you."

"Thank you, again. Have a nice day, Renée!" Steve quickly paid for his food, placing the neatly folded napkin in his jacket pocket.

"You too, Lucy.  See you later, Steve." He said a quick goodbye before walking out of the diner with Lucy. The two talked about random subjects as they walked to Steve's home. Steve stopped Lucy when they were on the steps, pulling the napkin out of his pocket and slipping it into the brunettes hand. Unfolding it, she began to inspect the different sketch marks putting them all together in her mind.