17. The Aftermath

After a while, Steve was found lying next to the river. An ambulance had gone to the sight once someone reported seeing him there. Lucy, Sam, Natasha, and Fury had arrived to see Steve lying on a stretcher being put into the back of the ambulance. Lucy and Natasha had made their way toward the medics. Two police men walked over to the two to answer questions. The next day, Lucy and Sam went to the hospital to check up on Steve who wasn't awake yet. S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents guarded the outside of the hospital room. Sam was reading a magazine while he sat in a chair next to the bed Steve was in while Lucy sat across from him looking at her phone. Marvin Gaye was playing on Sam's iPod which he plugged in when the two arrived. The door opened revealing Tony holding Steve's shield.

"I fished it out of the Potomac," he said holding it out. Lucy got up and took the shield placing it on the floor against the bed before turning to hug Tony.

"Thank you, Tony," she mumbled into his shoulder.

"You're welcome, Lucky. So, how's the Capsicle?"

"Hasn't woken up yet."

"Well, let's hope he does soon. I have to get back to New York. Kinda only stopped by to return the shield."

"Alright. Guess we'll see you sometime." The two cousins gave each other a goodbye hug before Tony walked to the door. He stopped before opening it.

"Hey, before I forget, thanks for taking down Project Insight. Fury told me I was one of the targets and that you three took down Hydra."

"Actually, it was mainly Sam and Steve. All I did was kill Pierce. But, you're welcome. Good seeing you, Tony." He smiled and waved before walking out of the door. Lucy walked back over to the chair she sat in only to see Steve's eyes open slightly. He began scanning over his surroundings, looking to his right to see Sam.

"On your left," he said sounding like himself. Sam smiled while Lucy placed her hand on Steve's forehead brushing his hair back with her fingers.

"How are you feeling?" Sam asked.

"Alright... Hungry." Sam and Lucy chuckled. Lucy moved the tray of food over for Steve to eat.

"Hey, guess who brought this," she said picking up the shield as Steve began to eat.

"I'm too hungry to guess, Lucky."

Lucy giggled putting the shield back down, "Tony did. And he said thank you for taking down Project Insight."

"He was one of the targets?" Lucy nodded. Steve took another bite of the apple he had begun to eat. Sam stood up.

"I'm going to go get something to eat," he said. "Want me to bring back something, Lucy?"

"No thank you, Sam," she replied looking from Steve to Sam. He nodded before leaving the room.

"You sure you don't want anything to eat?" Steve asked. Lucy sat down in the chair Sam was in and sighed.

"No. I'm not that hungry." Steve placed the apple down on the tray and took Lucy's hand in his. "What happened on the Helicarrier? You don't have to answer if you don't want too." Steve swallowed hard before answering.

"Bucky. He was on there... I think I may have helped him get his memory back but he was gone after he saved me." The brunette moved to sit on the side of the bed next to Steve as she wiped away a tear which had strayed from his eye.

"Hey, don't cry, Steve. Please. I promised myself that your mothers funeral would be the last time I'd see you cry unless you were happy." Steve took Lucy's hand in his empty one and smiled.

"Don't you mean you swear? Like you said, people can't keep promises."

"I swore to myself that your mothers funeral would be the last time I'd see you cry. Happy?"

"Yes." Steve began to sit up, a look of pain on his face as his hand went to his side. Lucy was about to help him lay back but he stopped her, one hand going to her shoulders, the other to her cheek. "It's alright. I'll be fine." Steve slowly moved to close the gap between him and the ex-waitress.

"Hey, I saw Sam in the hall and-" Tony began saying but stopped himself when he saw Steve and Lucy move away from each other nervously. "Did I just kill the moment? I can go if-"

"No, Tony, it's fine," Steve said as he laid back.

"Okay, well I saw Sam in the hall. He said the Capsicle was awake. I just wanted to pop in and see how you were doing."

"I'm fine, thanks for asking." Tony looked at his watch.

"No problem. Alright, now I really gotta get going. Fyi, both of you should really consider going out. Maybe go on a date before you 90-year-old virgins aren't decent anymore." Lucy stood up and walked over to Tony pushing him out of the room.

"Okay, for one, ew," she began saying, "second, just leave Tony." He laughed as he left walking down the hall to the elevator. Lucy turned and looked at Steve after closing the door. He was helplessly trying to pull the blanket up to his chin. "What are you doing?"

"I'm cold," Steve replied with a laugh. Lucy walked over and pulled the blanket up.

"There. Okay?" Steve shook his head. "Alright. You're such a child."

"Yes, but one you can handle." Lucy laughed as she pulled out a blanket from the cabinet and covered Steve.

"Better?" The blond shook his head again and smiled at the annoyed look Lucy gave him. "Stevie, they only have one extra blanket in here."

"I know." He moved over and patted the spot next to him. "That's the point. Come here." Lucy walked over and was about to sit down until the door opened as Sam walked in.

"Well, I'll have to admit the food here is actually delicious," he said walking in. Lucy sighed and grabbed her jacket off the chair.

"Leaving already?" Steve questioned. The brunette nodded and gave him a hug along with a light peck on the cheek.

"Sorry, Spangles," she spoke walking toward the door. "I'll be back tomorrow." After a few days, Steve was discharged from the hospital. Lucy had visited bringing something like a card or a picture so they could have a subject of conversation. The two went with Sam to meet Fury in the cemetery at his false grave in which he informed the three soldiers about going to Europe, wondering if they wanted to go along. Natasha had made her way there and gave Steve and Lucy a file before leaving to make up a new alibi. Steve opened the file to see it being about the Winter Soldier, all of it being written in Russian.