19. Worthy

-July-

Day: 0

Steve and Lucy had arrived at the new Avengers Tower on July first. Tony had shown them to the room that they were to share which left the two curious but not questioning what the billionaire thought. It was now currently July fourth. A birthday party for Steve took place during the day. As Tony promised there was cake. All the Avengers, including James "Rhodey" Rhodes and Agent Hill, sat as a group drinking and talking.

"Hey, we should see who can lift the hammer," Tony suggested referring to Thor's hammer. The Asgardian laughed as he got up to get Mjolnir, setting it on the table.

"Yeah, Whosoever, be he worthy shall have the power- Come on, man, it's a trick!" Clint spoke in disbelief thinking no one would be able to lift the hammer.

"It's much more than that, my friend," Thor said with a slight smile.

"It's a circus sideshow, and that is it and you know it." Tony pursed his lips and stood up, unbuttoning his jacket.

"If I lift it, do I get to rule Asgard?" He questioned.

"Yes, of course." Tony put his hand through the leather loop before wrapping his hands around the handle.

"I will be fair but firmly cruel." Tony began to lift the hammer but stopped pulling on it. He backed away and took his jacket off throwing it on the couch. "I'll be right back." Before leaving, Tony took the beer bottle which Lucy held and drank out of it leaving his cousin frowning before pretending to start crying into Steve's shoulder. Tony laughed handing the bottle back which caused the female to smile and everyone else laugh. Tony left and later came back wearing the gauntlet of one of his suits. He began to pull on the hammer again but failing even with the thrusters. Rhodey walked out and walked back in also wearing the gauntlet to his Iron Patriot suit going to help Tony with lifting the hammer.

"Are you even pulling?" Rhodey questioned.

"Are you on my team?" Tony asked in reply.

"Just represent. Pull." Tony groaned when he couldn't lift the hammer.

"Your turn, Cap," Lucy told Steve. He showed a smile before standing up to try and lift the hammer. When Thor saw it budge, his smile fell causing Clint and Lucy to laugh. Bruce motioned to Natasha and Lucy as if asking them to try.

"Oh, no. That's not a question we need answered," Natasha said before taking a sip of her beer.

"How did the Captain make the hammer move but Rhodey and I couldn't?" Tony asked out loud, but mostly Lucy. She noticed him looking in her direction.

"Because Steve has a pure heart," she replied wrapping her arms around Steve's.

"Here's a theory - whosoever is carrying Thor's fingerprints is, I think the literal translation."

Thor sat up as he began to speak, "Yes, that's a very interesting theory. But I have an interesting one." Thor picked up Mjolnir, pointing it at Tony. "You're not worthy." Tony began to complain as everyone else laughed. A high pitched screech in everyone's com links soon made them stop talking and cover the ear their link was in.

An unknown, robotic voice was heard, "Worthy..." Everyone turned at the sound of the voice to see a distorted robot walking in carrying the top half of what looks to be one of Tony's suits but a robot. Everyone stood up now cautious of the sentient, Thor picking up Mjolnir. Lucy walked over to stand next to Tony. "How could you be worthy? You're all puppets tangled in strings..." The head to the half sentient was crushed, the face of it falling to the floor. "Strings..."