12. Don't Do Anything Stupid

It was now April of 2014. Lucy and Steve had been in D.C. for a year still working for S.H.I.E.L.D. Both had been sent on either a mission together or on missions without the other. On their free time, both Steve and Lucy began checking out the suggestions from Tony on what to check out and gathered new suggestions from their colleagues at S.H.I.E.L.D. or from the neighbor across the way named Kate. It was currently about 5 in the morning. Steve and Lucy had gone out for an early morning jog being the only ones out other than another man who Lucy had been jogging near. Steve was in a full run, doing laps around the Reflecting Pool. Every time he passed the man jogging, he would say 'On your left.' Steve ran up behind Lucy and the jogging man.

The man looked back, "Don't say it! Don't you say it!"

This was the third time, "On your left."

"Come on!" Lucy stopped jogging as she began to laugh as the man tried running after Steve but failed miserably. After an hour of jogging, the man walked over to a tree and sat down against it breathing heavily. Steve and Lucy walked over.

"Need a medic?" Steve asked causing the man to laugh.

"I need a new set of lungs," he replied. "Dude, you just ran 13 miles in 30 minutes."

"Guess he got a late start," Lucy said with a smile.

The man laughed, "Man, you should be ashamed of yourself running like that. You should just take another lap... Did you just take it? I assume you just did."

"What unit you in?" Steve questioned.

"58th Para-Rescue. But now I'm working down at the VA. Sam Wilson." He held his hand up as Steve grabbed it, helping him up.

"Steve Rogers."

"And your lovely lady is...?"

"Lucy Stark," Lucy replied shaking Sam's hand, a light blush on her face from the remark.

"Gee, I gotta put that together. Must've freaked you both out coming home after the defrosting thing."

"Takes some getting used to. It's good to meet you, Sam." Steve began to walk away, not really wanting to talk about the subject. Lucy stayed where she was.

"It's your bed, right?"

Steve turned, "What's that?"

"Your bed, it's too soft. When I was over there I slept on the ground and used rocks for pillows like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying on my bed, and it's like-"

"Lying on a marshmallow," Lucy finished. "Feel like you're going to sink right to the floor. How long?"

"Two tours. You must miss the good ol' days, huh?"

"Well," Steve began answering, "Things aren't so bad. Foods a lot better, we used to boil things. No polio's good. Internet. So helpful. Been trying my best to catch up on that. Lucy got used to it faster than I have."

"It was adorable when he first used a Smartphone," Lucy added with a smile. "Him freaking out at the screen moving was hilarious, yet cute." This caused Steve and Sam to laugh as Steve pull her into a quick side hug.

"Marvin Gaye. 1972. 'Troubleman' soundtrack. Everything you miss put onto one soundtrack."

"I'll put that on the list," Steve said as he took out a little notepad and began to write down the suggestion. He heard his phone beep as he looked at the text he had just gotten. "Alright, Sam. Duty calls. Thanks for the run, if that's what you want to call running."

"Oh, that's how it is?"

"Ooo, that's how it is." The two shook hands, laughing.

"Okay. Hey, if you two ever want to stop by the VA, make me look awesome in front of the girl at the front desk, just let me know."