36. Familial Love

Silence fell upon the household as the youngest inhabitants had gone to sleep. Lucy quietly walked up the stairs of the farmhouse, afraid that she would wake one of the children. She excused herself from the group in the kitchen to check in on Harley. Tony and Steve continued to speak with Nick about a plan, one which Bruce, Natasha, and Clint voiced their thoughts about in order to get a say; Tony would consult those working on the NEXUS while Bruce returned to the Avengers Tower. Upstairs, Lucy found Harley's room with a quick direction from Laura who stepped into the hall leaving Lila's room. Thanking her, Lucy slowly opened the door and poked her head in to find Harley laying awake.

She gently rapped on the door. "May I come in?"

"Yeah." The answer was quiet and one the brunette almost missed. Entering the room and closing the door, Lucy made her way to the bed. She gingerly sat on the edge as Harley began to sit up a little and wrapped his arms around her waist. Lucy sat back against the headboard as she wrapped an arm around the boy, running a hand through his golden-brown locks. "You're leaving again, aren't you? You and Steve?"

"We all are, bud... I would stay if I could."

"I wish you could stay."

"So do I, but duty calls." Lucy looked down as she felt the boy yawn and move so he was snuggled against her side rather than be in a hug. The brunette pressed a kiss to the top of his head as she hummed a tune to help him fall asleep.

Harley's voice was quiet as he was beginning to be lulled asleep. "I'm glad to have met you." Lucy brushed aside the boy's bangs. "Lu?"

The hushed sound of Lucy's nickname was almost missed. "Yeah?"

"I love you."

Her breath caught in her throat. The words caught Lucy off guard, her action of brushing Harley's bangs aside faltered. Her dark gaze fell to the boy who had now fallen asleep. She gently smiled as the words ran through her head. I love you. It was a declaration of love. Of course not romantic, but love between family. Between mother and child.

And it broke the Avenger.

-1937-

"James, I got here as soon as I could."

Lucy rushed into the house belonging to Steve Rogers and his mother. While working her shift at the diner Bucky called to say he needed her at Steve's house - no explanation why. Upon arriving at the small apartment Lucy threw her coat and purse down on the sofa, turning to face her friend who was closing the door.

"What happened?" the young woman inquired.

"He got into a fight," Bucky responded. "Pretty bad this time."

Lucy scoffed, "When is it not. Where is he?"

Bucky pointed down the hall as Lucy began in the direction. "In his room. I did what I could but I think he might need a woman's touch."

Her footsteps ceased and Lucy turned, almost glaring at her friend who was trying to hold back a snicker. "That's not funny, James."

Bucky was able keep himself composed, allowing a heartfelt smile to rest on his features. "He's been asking for you. I probably wouldn't have called if it weren't for that."

Lucy smiled before continuing down the hall. The door to Steve's room was slightly ajar, so to be courteous the nineteen-year-old gently rapped her knuckles against the wood. A faint voice belonging to the one and only Steve Rogers sounded allowing her entry. His tone was that almost of annoyance, thinking it was Bucky at the door back to pester Steve about getting into fights or tease him about asking for Lucy one too many times, and let the young woman know her friend wasn't aware of her potential arrival.