16. The Price of Freedom's High

Steve walked into the Triskelion with Sam, Lucy, and Hill. Agent Hill led the three to the tech room. Hill set off a device which would set off a high-frequency signal into their earpieces. A guy opened the door, quickly putting his hands in the air when he saw the Captain and Agent, moving out of the way to let the four in. Everyone in the room left as Steve began to speak into the microphone.

"Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents, this is Captain Steve Rogers. I'm sure you've heard a lot about Agent Lucy Stark and I over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt us down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by Hydra. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The Strike and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing next to you. They almost have what they want - absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, they'll be able to shoot anyone who gets in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. The price of freedom is high. It always has been. But it's the price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." Sam walked forward when Steve finished talking.

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" he asked in a joking way. Steve smiled before he and Sam began to walk out.

"Lucy, I want you to go and look for Tasha, Sam and I will deal with the Helicarriers. Hill, you know what to do."

"Roger that, Cap," Hill said as she began to type on the keyboard. Lucy nodded before going to leave the room.

"And Lucy." She turned to look at Steve. "If you run into Rumlow, be careful."

"I'm always careful, Cap," Lucy replied, a smile tugging at her lips. "It's you and Sam who should be careful." Lucy made her way out of the room.

"You would be one lucky bastard if the two of you started going out," Sam said to Steve before they left the room. Lucy ran down an empty hallway making her way toward the stairs. She turned a corner to see Rumlow at the other end of the hall. He began to shoot at her but the bullets were blocked by her shield.

"It'd be best to give up while you still can, Agent," Rumlow spoke. Lucy reached for the pistol which was in its holster. The two walked closer to each other but kept a safe distance.

"Not today," the female said as she began to shoot at Rumlow who moved out of the way after each shot. The fight was at a point where they were both out of ammo and hand in hand combat began. It only took a few punches to the face and kicks to the gut for Lucy to become the dominate one of the fight and kick the Agent into the wall causing him to black out from the impact. Lucy continued to make her way up to the Council where Natasha was.

"Hey, Cap, you were right about Rumlow," Lucy spoke into the com link.

"You ended up okay, right?" Steve questioned in response.

"Couldn't be better." Three Hydra agents walked toward the Council room as Lucy quietly snuck behind them and into the room when she had entered.

"You smug son of a bitch," Councilman Rockwell said to Pierce as he stood in front of the Council, his arms crossed.

"Arrest him,"  Councilman Singh ordered to the three Agents who had walked in on the group. The leading one, Agent Rollins held up a gun pointing it at the Councilman.

"I guess I've got the floor," Pierce said. Lucy watched as he held up a hand signaling for the agent to put the gun down. The brunette began to load what few bullets she had left into the gun in her hand. Pierce took out his phone while walking over to the window to see the Helicarriers beginning their launch. The Carriers began shooting at an object flying in the air which Lucy indicated was Sam. Pierce began to walk over to the table.