21. The Kid With The Potato Gun

-December-

Day: 172

It was now December 20, Lucy was sent out to inspect the East Coast and nearby states for any action from Ultron. They had recently seen villainous action from CCTV footage in Philadelphia. She flew one of the Quinjets and was now currently in Tennessee.

"How's it going, Stark?" Natasha asked through the radio.

"Everything seems fine he-" Lucy cut herself off when she felt the jet jolt. The main alarm went off indicating one of the engines stopped working, the radio losing connection. "Shit.." As the jet crashed to the ground, it rolled twice causing Lucy to earn scratches and bruises on her face and arms. Grabbing her shield, she made her way out of the jet inspecting it to see what had happened. Knowing she couldn't do anything, Lucy began to walk away from the crash sight and down the dark, snowy road stopping when she came across a garage. She stumbled through the door closing it behind her. The room was dark though a light switch could be seen next to the door. After Lucy turned it on, she looked around the room, her eyes stopping when she saw a kid holding a makeshift gun pointing it at her.

"You got me," Lucy said slowly raising her hands but stopped at the pain from the crash.

"Who are you?" the kid questioned.

"Being the adult, let me ask you this: Where am I?"

"Rose Hill, Tennessee. Now to answer my question – Who are you?"

"Lucy Stark."

"Stark? Are you, like, Tony's daughter or something?"

"Cousin actually. Are you sure that... gun thing will work?" The kid turned and shot a glass jar off a shelf with a potato.

"I'm sure."

"And now you're out of ammo. What's your name, kid?"

"Harley Keener. Sorry for thinking you were Mr. Stark's daughter. He never mentioned any family members but you do sort of look like him." Lucy gave Harley a smile. He put the gun down on the table before noticing the shield Lucy held. "Wait a minute, are you Lady Liberty?"

"Still questioning if I'm Tony's daughter?" Harley walked over and took the shield as Lucy walked over to sit on the couch. "So, how do you know the dear Mr. Stark?"

"Same way I met you, though he had one of his suits. Said he lost power." Lucy watched as the kid inspected her shield. "What's this made of?" The female began wiping away some blood which was dripping from a cut across her nose.

"Vibranium. Rarest metal on Earth. How old are you, kid?"

"Twelve." Harley looked at the brunette. "You?"

"Ninety... six? Physically twenty-nine."

 "Do you need a towel or something? I don't have a first aid kit so that and rubbing alcohol is all I can offer."

"That would be fine, thanks." Harley set the shield down before quickly grabbing a towel and the alcohol handing it to Lucy. She thanked him before taking care of the cuts. "So, who's home with you?"

"Dad went to 7-Eleven to get some scratchers... Must've won because that was seven years ago. Mom went to the diner a few hours ago... Guess she's gone now because that was last year."

"I'm sorry... Parents do that, you know? Both moms and dads. My mom left after she divorced my dad. Never made any contact afterwards. No need to be upset about it... I'm going to need a few things."

"Like what?" Lucy pulled the towel away from her nose as the alcohol left a sting.

"A cell phone, laptop, watch, map of the town, car, and a peanut-butter sandwich."