22. Leaving Tennessee

Day: 173

A few days passed. Lucy couldn't sleep. Whenever she would try and sleep, she'd had a nightmare. One that was recurring since July. She sat up rubbing her temples before looking over to see Harley still asleep on the couch. Her eyes averted to the bag with the laptop and phone. She grabbed it walking over to the TV turning it on before walking to the work table and taking the electronics out of the bag. The news was on showing a report from New York. The brunette logged into the laptop going to type in a hacking code Tony gave her to connect to the S.H.I.E.L.D. database. Lucy plugged the phone into the laptop before moving things on the table to put her feet up. As the phone and laptop connected with the database, Lucy drew her attention to the news report.

"Billionaire Tony Stark has been on a search for the past few days for his cousin, Lucy. He had lost contact with her after her plane had crashed. It is unlikely she is still alive. She is currently noted as deceased."

"When are we going to New York?" Harley questioned causing Lucy jumped at the sound of his voice. She looked over to see him sitting up rubbing his eye.

She sighed looked to the computer then back to him, "Once I can contact Tony or someone else."

"I forgot to mention, I have Tony's phone number or the number of the phone he got.."

"You do?(!)" Lucy showed excitement on her face.

"But, I lost the phone. And I'm pretty sure it broke, too." Lucy groaned in disappointment as she sat back in the chair looking like she had just flopped down. "Sorry?"

"What time is it, kid?"

"Three in the morning." Lucy turned in the chair to look at the laptop screen.

She began speaking aloud to herself, "This may take a few minutes to connect. I've got to log in after that, find Tony's number, call him though he's probably- wait. He never sleeps, why was I just going to say he was asleep?"

"Lucy, are you alright?" The brown eyed female looked at the twelve year old who was now standing next to her.

"Sorry. Just talking to myself."

"Does that happen a lot?"

"Yeah. That and digressing. Kinda normal for the Stark's so it's nothing to worry about." The laptop let out a beep a few minutes later indicating the connected with the database. Lucy found Tony's number after logging in. "Alright. Got the number. We should probably start heading out."

"You know you still need a car."

"I know." Lucy unplugged the phone from the laptop before standing up and turning the TV off. She put the laptop in Harley's backpack which sat nearby.

"You're not going out now, are you?"

"What places are open at this time?"

"Uh, the diner, the gas station-"

"Then we'll look for a car there." Lucy pulled her jacket on before walking to the door. Harley quickly grabbed his jacket and followed her.

"Wait, Lucy. Do you even know how to steal a car?" Lucy looked at Harley with a smile.

"Yeah. Either hot wire it or, sometimes, the keys are in the visor." The female put the backpack strap over her shoulder before walking out of the garage. Harley took things he needed and put them in another backpack before following Lucy, carrying her shield, and turned the lights off. The two walked into the town. Signs were still lit though the shops were closed. Harley ran to catch up with Lucy when he noticed he was a little bit behind her and walking slowly. The female took his hat again, placing it on her own head before ruffling his hair. The diner began to come into view. Lucy noticed a familiar man get out of a truck and look around. It happened to be Brock Rumlow, who, to Lucy's surprise, had survived the collapsing Triskelion. He had a few burn scars on his forehead and jaw which went to his neck that looked to be seemingly failed at being covered by a scarf. Lucy cautiously walked toward the parking lot with Harley and watched as Rumlow walked into diner. Lucy pointed out the truck to Harley before they ran over to it and getting in the front seats. Lucy placed both backpacks in the backseat along with the shield. She grabbed the cell phone dialing Tony's number before getting in the front seat. As Lucy got in the front seat, her cousin answered his phone.