14. Y-E-S Spells Yes

"Well this is a dead end," Natasha said after the three Agents had entered the camp. "Zero heat signatures. Zero waves. Not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must've used a router to throw people off." Lucy looked to Steve as he came out of his daze before looking to Natasha. Lucy looked passed the assassin when she noticed a storage station. "What is it?" Lucy climbed over the railing of the ramp Natasha was on, and began to walk toward the storage station.

"Army regulations forbid storing stations within 500 yards from the barracks. This buildings in the wrong place." She looked and saw a lock on the door, breaking it with her shield. The three walked in and down a flight of stairs getting to a room that looked to have desks and chairs, some turned over. Steve turned the light on. They saw a S.H.I.E.L.D. logo on the wall.

"This is S.H.I.E.L.D.," Natasha said.

"Maybe where it started," Lucy suggested. They walked into another room that had bookshelves and a single desk. Three pictures were hung up on the wall. One of Colonel Philips, one of Howard Stark, and one of Peggy.

"There's Stark's father."

"Howard."

"Who's the girl?" Steve walked away from the two, not wanting to answer the question or hear Lucy's answer. Lucy and Natasha walked over to see Steve inspecting a bookshelf. He heard a draft coming from it and noticed a cobweb blowing from the draft.

"If you're already working in a secret office-" Steve began questioning as he started to move the bookshelf out of the way revealing an elevator, "-then why do you need to hide the elevator?" Natasha entered a code after scanning the keypad, allowing them access to use the elevator, and began to head to the bottom level. When the doors opened, the room was dark. When they made their way in the room, the lights began to turn on, revealing a desk and a computer seemingly from when they were first created.

"This can't be the data point, this technology's ancient," Natasha spoke in disbelief. Lucy noticed a USB port sitting on the desk. She took the flash drive out of her pocket and put it in the port. The computer began to run and asked a question.

"Initiate system?"

Natasha, Lucy, and Steve turned to look at the screen.

Natasha began typing 'Yes', "Y-E-S spells 'yes.' Shall we play a game?" She looked at the two behind her and began to explain. "It's from a movie that was really-"

"I know, we saw it," Steve said. The computer accepted the command, the screen showing a face.

"Stark," it spoke in a German accent which was familiar to Steve and Lucy, "Lucille. Born 1918." The camera turned to Steve. "Rogers, Steven. Born 1918." The camera turned to Natasha. "Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna. Born 1984."

"It's some kind of recording," Natasha spoke.

"I am not a recording, fräulein. I may not be the man I was when the Captain and Agent took me prisoner in 1945. But I am." A screen to the right of the main screen showed a picture of Doctor Zola.

"You know this thing?"

"Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull," Steve replied as he began walking around the monitors. "He's been dead for years."

"First correction, I am Swiss. Second, look around you. I have never been more alive. In 1972, I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body. My mind, however, was worth saving on 200 thousand feet of databanks. You are standing in my brain."

"How'd you get here?" Lucy questioned.

"Invited."

"This Operation Paperclip after World War 2," Natasha began saying, "S.H.I.E.L.D. recruited German scientists with strategic value."