23. Escape

It took another four hours to get from D.C. to New York, but a few minutes were added due to having to stop for food or go to the bathroom. Harley climbed into the passengers seat as Lucy drove, her head resting in her hand as her arm sat against the window. She noticed the road had been cleared in a way when they neared the toll booth. The road was blocked slightly by FBI vans, men with guns also blocking the road. Lucy slowed the truck down as she drove up, an officer walking over to her side of the vehicle.

"What's going on?" Harley asked as Lucy put the window down. She shook her head and shrugged before looking to the officer.

"Afternoon, Ma'am. May I ask what your business here is?" he questioned.

"I am heading to Avengers Tower," Lucy replied.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but no one is allowed there or any major building."

"I don't think you understand. I'm Lucy Stark, Mr. Starks cousin." The soldier scoffed.

"Lucy Stark is dead.. I'm going to need you both to step out of the vehicle."

"What?" Lucy and Harley did as the man asked and got out of the truck. "Sir, I'm telling the truth."

"She really is telling the truth," Harley mentioned. Lucy looked at the officer with hopeful eyes before he began speaking into his radio. She looked to Harley, annoyed with the man in front of them. Lucy had crossed her arms, but slowly uncrossed them when she noticed a medium grey Hydra symbol on the man's jacket. The officer turned back to Lucy and began to arrest the two but was stopped by Lucy who had begun to fight him. A few other soldiers made their way over to where Lucy stood, the first officer passed out at her feet. She had taken the gun from his utility belt and held it as the other soldiers pointed their guns at her. Harley opened the back door of the truck and grabbed the shield handing it to the brunette.

"Put the gun and shield down, Agent Stark, and no one gets hurt," one of the men ordered. Lucy just stood in place, observing the men as if trying to find their weaknesses. Without warning she began shooting at them, blocking any incoming bullets with the shield. She shot the last man down but heard cars driving up behind her and Harley. She rushed to the truck, pulling the bags out of the bag handing Harley's backpack to him and quickly grabbing the manila folder before escaping the area, both of them running.

"Don't you think using the truck would've been better?" Harley asked as he ran.

"And give them a chance to actually follow us? Hell no." Lucy led Harley down an alleyway she knew of which would lead them toward the Avengers Tower. She pulled him back as they reach the end of the alley when a Hydra van drove by. They quickly crossed the street when it was gone and began heading to the penthouse level of the tower as they entered it. The room was quiet and looked as if no one was around. Elevator doors closed behind Lucy and Harley being the only sound filling the room.

"Are you sure anyone's home?" Harley questioned in a whisper.

"I don't know," the brunette whispered back in reply. The two froze when they heard a click from a gun being cocked.  Lucy slowly looked over to see Natasha standing with a gun pointed at the two.

"Lucky?" she questioned in surprise slowly putting the gun down. Lucy smiled.

"Hey, Tasha."

"I- we all thought you were dead."

"I know. But I'm here and alright. Well, besides my face." Voices were heard coming from the hall behind Natasha. Tony and Bruce walked into view, both ceasing their talking when they saw Lucy. Tony walked over toward her and Harley, pulling both of them into a hug. Lucy reunited with everyone else as they walked into the room, both her and Tony introducing Harley to everyone. Lucy noticed Steve wasn't around. She wondered if he was in their room and decided to ask Tony.

"Hey, Tony? Where's Steve?" Tony looked at her as if in a slight panic, but in a way was saved by Thor.

"I'm sorry, Lady Stark, but your beau was sent on a mission by Director Fury and had gone missing about a week ago," he spoke.

"What? What was the mission for?"

"Same as yours, except he wasn't in a jet."

"Don't worry, Miss Stark," a new voice said causing everyone to like in the direction it came from seeing Nick walk in. "When the Captain went missing I sent out a team of agents to look for him."

"Let's hope they find him," Clint spoke. Lucy stayed silent for a few seconds before looking at Fury.

"Hey, Nick? Harley and I ran into Hydra agents on our way here," she spoke.

"Yeah, they've been around for a while," he replied. "Ever since you went missing and since they took Steve."

"Also, Ultron has minion sentients under his lead, I would say," Tony announced. "They've been attacking a few cities and people here." The group chatted for a while longer before Lucy went to her room to get some sleep.

Steve was lying on a prison bed at a Hydra base, one which had been located in upstate New York. He had fresh bruises forming and cuts stinging from the air. He laid on his back, his hand clutching his stomach which was pained from a gunshot wound. As he stared at the ceiling, he began to think of how the others were, especially if Lucy was found. Steve caught a glimpse of green and gold from the corner of his eye. He turned his head to look over and see Loki looking around the cell. The soldier sat up and cautiously looked at the Asgardian. Loki turned his gaze to Steve and smiled.

"I bet you're wondering why I'm here," Loki stated.

"Yes, I am," Steve answered as if it was obvious. Loki's sly smile stayed.

"First off, I thought I'd inform you that your friend, what was her name again? Lucy? She's safe." The Asgardian began to walk around. "Second, I'm not really here. And third, there's a team of those S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents on their way."

"So, you're only here to tell me those things?"

"Well, I thought you'd at least be happy that beauty of yours is alright."

"Right. Thanks.. I guess." The sound of an alarm going off made Steve and Loki jump in surprise. Loki disappeared as a woman walked over to the cell doors.

"Captain Rogers, I'm Agent May. I'm here to get you out under Director Fury and Agent Coulson's order."

A/N: Wow. 2015. BUT, four more months till Age Of Ultron! That's really my only resolution is to see that movie. Here's a question for you guys, what's your ressolution for this new year? Feel free to comment it down below.