8. The World Was At War

Steve and Lucy had been in New York for a year since waking up. S.H.I.E.L.D. had given them their belongings which had been put into storage by the S.S.R. and had also provided them with money and an apartment. The two had been trying to adapt to modern technology, Lucy exceeding but having to help Steve. During the months, Lucy learned about Tony, Howard's son, and paid him a visit so they could meet, luckily being able to get along. He even wrote down a list of things for her and Steve to look into. Today was like any normal day. Steve and Lucy were out in the city checking things out before stopping by a café to get a drink. They sat on the patio outside. Steve drew a building on a napkin while Lucy read a book she had brought, silence hung between the two.

"Waiting on the Big Guy?" a blonde waitress asked as she walked over to their table refilling Lucy's cup of coffee.

"Ma'am?" Steve asked.

"Iron Man. A lot of people eat here just to see him fly by."

"Right... Maybe another time." Steve began to take money out of his jacket pocket and put it on the table.

"The table's yours as long as you like. Nobody's waiting on it. Plus, we got free wireless." The waitress began walking over to another table.

"Radio?" She looked at Steve and smiled. Lucy giggled at Steve's question and how clueless he was to the waitress trying to flirt with him.

"Ask for her number you moron," an older man who was sitting at the table next to them said to Steve. Steve glanced the man then to Lucy and gave a slightly confused look. Lucy looked as if she were trying to hold in a laugh as she bit her bottom lip. The two left and began to head to a gym on the subway. Lucy sat next to the window resting her head on it as she watched the scenery move by. Steve looked over to her and took her hand. When they got to the gym, Steve paid for the time they would spend there and the man gave them a key for them to use to lock up because of how late they got to their location. Both Steve and Lucy began using the punching bags. Steve became upset as memories from the past flooded back to him causing him to send the bag across the room. Lucy watched as he took another bag and hooked it up and began to punch again.

"Trouble sleeping?" Director Fury asked while walking in, a folder in hand. Both the Captain and Sergeant looked to Fury.

"We've slept for seventy years, Sir," Steve replied. "I think we've had our fill."

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world." Lucy began unraveling the tape she had wrapped around her knuckles.

"I went under, the world was at war. We wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost," Lucy spoke as Steve walked over.

"We've made some mistakes along the way. Some very recently," Nick said.

"You here with the mission, Sir?" Steve asked.

"I am."

"Trying to get us back in the world?"

"Trying to save it." Fury handed Lucy a file on the Tesseract and Steve the files of Hydra's projects.

"Hydra's secret weapon," Lucy said referring to the Tesseract being Schmidt's weapon against the nations during the war.

"Your cousin, Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you both. He thought what we think; the Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs."

"Who took it from you?"

"He's called Loki. He's... Not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you both up to speed on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know."