Chapter 13.2

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 13.2

The bright sunlight poured in from the cafeteria windows, and Nathan tried to shield his eyes, but couldn't while carrying his tray. He squinted and kept his head down low, but the light reflected back from his plate of pecan pancakes and tall glass of orange juice.

"Good morning, Nathan!" said Angela energetically. 

Nathan raised his eyebrows. "Good morning, Angela," he replied. He took a seat on the other side of the table so that his back faced the cafeteria window. 

"Yes," commented Alan. "She is always this perky. Every morning."

Angela rolled her eyes. "That's a different side for you," she said.

Nathan put down his fork and pointed behind him. He tried to talk without showing the food in his mouth. "Sunlight," he mumbled.

She smiled.

Alan stopped looking at his cell phone long enough to look around the room. "Still no Lafonda," he said. "This is unlike her. She is usually the first one here."

Nathan took a moment from eating to look around the table. He was surprised as well.

Angela reached into her pocket and pulled out her cell phone. It was bright purple and had gold-and-silver stars on the back of it. "I'll send her a text message," she said with a smile. "There, it's done."

"Wow, that's a first!" blurted Alan. His eyes were as wide as saucers. "Erin and Jonathan actually walking in together."

Angela checked her cell phone. "Still no message," she said, sounding slightly gloomy. She gave a quick glance to Erin and Jonathan. "Erin must have taken my advice and started picking him up."

"Quick!" whispered Alan, turning around so that he faced the table. "Before Erin and Jonathan leave the cafeteria counter and make it over here" — he leaned in and lowered his voice further — "did you guys notice the weirdness last night between Jonathan and Malick?"

"Yeah," responded Nathan, while chewing his food. 

Angela nodded and leaned in as well. "Yeah," she whispered. "I noticed there was some tension whenever there was talk about the caves." She leaned back from the table and glared at them. "But," she added, "I also noticed that Jonathan isn't the only person having a problem with Malick."  

Alan huffed and Angela continued to glower.

"I wonder why Malick would have a problem with the caves," Alan said while grinning. "He probably feels like me and just gets tired of hearing Jonathan go on and on about it."

"Ouch, Angela!" cried Alan. "What did you do that for?" He winced again. "Ouch!" he yelled. "Stop hitting me! I'm not ignoring you!"

Angela folded her arms across her chest. "Yes, you are!" she whined.

"What's your problem, Angela?" he groaned. Alan rolled his eyes. "Malick is just getting what he deserves."

"I feel like nobody in this group is giving Malick a chance to fit in," she said, sounding slightly disappointed.

He frowned. "You know, there are other counselors at this camp, Angela," he retorted. 

Nathan looked up and Angela sighed.

"Well, there are," Alan grinned. 

"Good morning, guys," said Erin, stepping up to the table.

Erin and Jonathan were carrying trays of food.

"Where is Lafonda?" Erin asked.

"The sun is bright this morning," complained Jonathan through squinted eyes. "Do you mind if I sit on the other side, next to Nathan?"

Erin shrugged. "Fine by me, Mr. Indiana," she said. "I'm just glad you made it down in time for breakfast. A girl can get tired of rallying up the troops by herself, you know."

Jonathan smiled.

"She's almost here!" shrieked Angela, while placing her cell phone back into her pocket. 

"Who's almost here?" asked Erin. 

"Lafonda," Angela replied happily. "I texted her this morning and I just got a text saying she'll be here, like in five minutes!"

Erin nodded.

"Oh, and here comes Malick," Angela continued with a grin. "And it doesn't look like he has his sunglasses on or with him this morning."

Alan shook his head.

Nathan looked up after finishing his glass of orange juice and caught a glimpse of Malick. He also noticed Jonas talking to Christina Williams.

"Looks like Lafonda is going to miss her chance to see that," added Erin.

"No, she won't," said Alan. "Here she comes."

"Hey," said Malick, pausing to run his hand through his hair. "How's it going?"

Angela adjusted her shirt and fidgeted with her curly blond hair so that it lay neatly on her shoulders. "Hi there," she said with a grin. 

"Hey, guys!" said Lafonda, as she approached the table. She sounded almost out of breath. "Sorry I'm late."

"Uh, Lafonda," uttered Angela, with a wink. "Did you notice Malick doesn't have his sunglasses on this morning?"

Lafonda gave Malick a quick look over. "Good for him," she sighed.

Malick grinned and then headed to his regular table by the window.

"Enjoy your breakfast!" shouted Angela cheerfully. 

Lafonda proceeded around the table and made room for herself between Jonathan and Nathan.

"Lafonda," said Angela, abruptly. "Aren't you going to have breakfast?

"I'm not hungry," she smiled. "But guess what? I have good news!"

"What is it?" asked Alan enthusiastically. "Is there a sale at Burberry?"

Lafonda laughed. "No, not quite," she chuckled. "Leah's coming home!"

Nathan quickly spun around. "What?" he said, almost spilling food from his mouth.

"I just got off the phone with Leah," she continued excitedly. "She is being released from the hospital on Monday!"

—————————————-

Thanks again for reading! 

And I would definitely appreciate your vote! :)