Chapter 12.1 (The Space Between)

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad!  Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 12.1

The elevator to the eighth floor opened, and Nathan quickly got out. He took a huge breath and waved his hand a few times in front of his nose. "Whew!" he said. "You guys definitely need to hit the showers before you go to bed."

Jonas stepped out of the elevator first, followed by Andy and Hugo. Andy tried to take the basketball from Jonas before hopping up on the common room table. The table almost toppled over, but luckily for him, Hugo had climbed up to sit on the opposite side.

Andy smiled wide and laughed. He paused to take a whiff of his underarm. "Dude," he said, "we don't smell that bad."

Nathan turned around to look at him and laughed. Andy's face was covered with sweat, and his red hair was wet and spiky. His nose also was a bright red.

"You look like a clown," Nathan chuckled. "And you are definitely a comedian if you expect me to believe that one."

Hugo leaned in to take a whiff of Andy. "Dude!" he shouted. "You do smell!"

Andy laughed. "Whatever, man," he said. "I could smell you in the elevator, and it wasn't nice."

Hugo playfully swung his long, beefy arm at Andy, almost knocking him off the table.

"Hey!" Hugo groaned. "That wasn't me; that was Jonas." He grinned, revealing big, horselike teeth. "Unlike him, I actually use deodorant."

Jonas glowered and placed his basketball underneath his arm. His shaggy, curly hair was drenched with sweat. Jonas smiled big. "Hey!" he said. "Christina doesn't have a problem with it."

Andy quickly hopped off the table, and Hugo barely prevented himself and the table from falling over.

"Whoa-ho-ho," yelled Andy. "He's got a point there, big guy." Andy paused to lean against the wall to scratch his back. "And unless Jonas royally screws up," he said, "he has a for-sure date to the banquet."

Jonas continued to dribble his basketball, but he had a confused look on his face. "Uh, banquet?" he uttered.  

"You know," said Andy, while raising his eyebrows. "The banquet on the last day of camp."

"Oh," he said, before starting to dribble again.

Andy shook his head at Jonas and laughed heartily.

"How are you guys taking dates to the banquet when your parents will be there?" asked Nathan.

Andy raised his eyebrows again, and his eyes were wide. "Duh," he said. "You have to dance with somebody." He playfully elbowed Hugo in the stomach. "And in Hugo's case, that's nobody."

"Grr!" growled Hugo. "Who are you taking, then?"

Andy paused before speaking. He looked proud of himself. "It's a done deal," he said. "I'm taking Samantha Darding."

Nathan grinned and tried to hold back his snicker.

Hugo's face contorted, and Jonas instantly stopped playing basketball.

"In your dreams!" laughed Hugo. "If Sam is going to dance with anybody, it's going to be me."

Suddenly, the bell to the elevator rang, and to everyone's surprise — except Nathan's — out stepped Lafonda.