Chapter 22.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 22.3

A few hours later, Nathan stood at the glass door to the ground-level walkway that connected Lawrence and Fisher halls. He watched as counselors, parents and campers mingled in the pristine courtyard that stretched out to the campus quad. It was dusk and the setting sun created a gradual shade of pink to deep purple across the sky.

Nathan stepped outside and onto the freshly mowed grass. He was surprised to see how well-dressed and well-behaved the guys were on his floor. Most of them were excited to be going home and wanted to impress their parents or that special someone during the dance. 

Nathan felt a little embarrassed and a little out of place with the white bandage around his hand and the flesh-colored Band-Aid on his forehead. He scrutinized the brown khakis and brown leather shoes recommended by LaDonda. He refused to wear the shirt, tie and jacket she had also recommended and decided on a navy blue polo instead. 

Nathan saw Jonathan Black sitting alone at one of the many white-clothed round tables and headed towards him. Carefully, he maneuvered through the crowd, smiling sporadically as his eyes connected with a few people. He had almost reached Jonathan when someone grabbed his arm.

"Ha!" shouted a female voice.

He turned around to find a small woman dressed in a loosely fitted blouse staring back at him over her gold-rimmed glasses. Her blond tight curls appeared slightly wild, and her blouse was patterned in pink and red roses.

"It's not a coincidence finding you here now, is it?" she exclaimed.

"Hello, Mrs. Riley," he said with a smile, while trying to fight the awkwardness. "No, it isn't."

She abruptly clapped her hands together causing Nathan and a few other people to jump. "Aw, just call me Linda," she said with a big smile. She pointed to his bandaged hand. "I heard you guys had a rough night."

"Yeah," he said, trying to hide his discomfort. "I guess so."

"You know," she continued lightheartedly, "dealing with fraternities is just another part of being at a university."

Nathan smiled weakly and nodded.

She peered over her glasses and happily waved at someone.

Soon after, Jonas and Bobby joined them.

"Look who I found," she said, while placing an arm around Nathan. She then gently tilted Jonas's chin to examine his face. "And it looks like you two have matching bruises."

"Uh," stuttered Nathan.

"It's just a coincidence," said Jonas with a fake laugh.

"Uh, yeah," said Nathan. "I probably got mine while out at the caves. "Uh, there was a little accident. And Jonas, you got yours ..."

"Playing basketball," he interjected nervously, but with a smile. "Yup, just playing basketball."

Bobby nodded reassuringly. 

Linda fluttered her eyelashes behind her glasses and looked at the three of them suspiciously.

"Um, look Mom," said Jonas, breaking the silence. "There's LaDonda. Didn't you say you wanted to talk to her?"