Chapter 5.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 5.3

"What — what happened?" asked Nathan, sounding panicked. 

"Did you see that?" she shouted. "Something just darted across the road!" 

"What?" he asked. "Another dog?"

She looked into her rearview mirror. "I don't know," she said. "It was dark. I couldn't make out the shape from the shadows."

Nathan followed suit by scanning the road behind them and then the trees. "It probably was a deer or a fox crossing the road," he said. "Now you know why I asked you to turn on your lights."

"Oh, my God!" complained Lafonda, cringing slightly and then squinting.

"What now?" he groaned, while quickly scanning the road and the trees again. "I don't see anything."

"Not on the road!" cried Lafonda, still squinting. "The car behind us is driving way too close and they have their high beams on." 

He spun around to see what she was talking about, only to be repelled by the car's bright headlights. "Who is that?" he spouted.

"I don't know," she muttered through clenched teeth, "but it's quite annoying." She paused and then abruptly turned to look at Nathan. "Wait, did he just speed up?" 

The roar of the engine from the vehicle following close behind them could be heard as it accelerated, and its lights grew closer and closer. Both Nathan and Lafonda turned to look at each other as the vehicle weaved dangerously close to Lafonda's car. 

"Um, Lafonda," said Nathan, with a hint of fear in his voice, "I think he wants you to move."

"Um, Nathan," she responded angrily, "you think?"

Lafonda continued to drive along the road with both hands clenched tightly around the steering wheel. She suddenly became focused and only moved when her eyes occasionally made contact with the rearview mirror. 

Nathan noticed that her hands appeared to clench tighter and tighter as the new red car gradually accelerated. "Uh, Lafonda," he said, while keeping a watchful eye on the still approaching vehicle, "you're not pulling over." 

Her dark brown eyes made contact with the rearview mirror again and her lips pursed with concentration as she accelerated. 

Nathan's eyes grew wide as he watched the dial gradually move up on the speedometer. "Look, don't piss them off!" he shouted. "Just move or pull over!"

"I know, I know!" she yelled. 

Nathan's face suddenly looked beleaguered. "If you know," he snapped, "then why the heck are you accelerating!" 

"Look, Nathan," she explained with a confident grin, "I'm driving a Ferrari, and if this guy thinks he can keep up with me, well, let's find out!" 

Nathan sighed heavily and shook his head. "Whatever," he said. "I guess this is the part of the movie where I buckle my seat belt and say a prayer before we have a car accident!" 

"You are so dramatic, Nathan!" she shouted.

"Dramatic!" he cried, while gawking at the speedometer. "Look who's talking!" Nathan noticed the trees alongside the road were now whizzing by in a blur. "One hundred miles per hour!" he yelled. "Lafonda, this guy is not going to give up!"

The headlights from the tailgating car continued to dance side to side as it attempted once to pass Lafonda's vehicle. 

"I don't think so!" Lafonda groaned, shifting gears and slamming down the accelerator.

In response, the engine of the unknown car behind them roared and proceeded to drive on the approaching-traffic side of the roadway. Nathan could now make out the metallic silver car as it drove beside them, matching Lafonda's speed. "Lafonda!" he yelled. "Let the guy pass us already, before another car comes!"

"Okay, okay," she spouted. "But can you see who it is?" 

"What? No!" he yelled, only pausing briefly to look at the silver vehicle. "The windows are tinted, and besides, what difference will it make if we're dead!" 

"Ugh!" she huffed, and the red Ferrari began to decelerate. "What a freaking jerk!"

Nathan sighed, and his chest heaved in relief. "Yeah, he's a jerk," he said with a nod. "And you're freaking crazy!" 

Suddenly, Nathan's mouth fell open as they both realized what was approaching from the top of the hill in front of them. "Lafonda!" he screamed. "A truck is coming!" 

"I know, I know! I see it," she stuttered, a hint of desperation settling in her voice. "But he's not passing me! He keeps matching my speed!" 

The approaching truck drew closer as the silver car next to them continued to match Lafonda's speed. They could hear the horn of the approaching truck. 

"Are you crazy!" Lafonda yelled, while gawking at the person behind the tinted windows.

"He's not going to stop!" Nathan cried, his palms sweating and his heart racing now. "Just brake, Lafonda! Brake!"

"I am braking!" she yelled.

"Then just pull over, Lafonda!" he moaned. "Just pull over before you get us killed!"

"I'm trying to," she stuttered, "but there's nowhere to pull over to!" 

Nathan frantically looked to the right side of the road, but she was right, there was no room for the red Ferrari. The entire right side of the road was lined by a deep ditch. The blaring horn from the approaching truck grew louder, and so did the sound of Nathan's pounding heart against his chest. 

"Why don't you just come to a complete stop?" he yelled. But before he could continue, he noticed something moving fast among the trees. It looked as if something shadowy was moving alongside them. He squinted, and as the shadowy shape continued to move quickly through the forest, he was sure it was some sort of animal. It wasn't until the creature appeared out of the forest, with what looked like supernatural speed, that he was able to see what seemed to be a black and lean disheveled-looking dog. The creature's bright blue eyes immediately connected with Nathan's as it paced the small side road coming up ahead of them. 

"Wait!" he yelled.

"What!" responded Lafonda in sheer panic, her hands still gripped tight around the steering wheel. 

"Don't stop, pull over there!" Nathan said. "There's a side road up ahead."

Lafonda looked frantically over the dashboard. "Where?"

Nathan's eyes connected with the creature's piercing blue eyes again. "Over there!" he shouted, pointing towards the side road.  

The adjacent road was close now, and Lafonda had only seconds to react. She immediately slammed on the brakes to make the turn as the tires of her red Ferrari screeched to a stop. The silver car that had tormented them quickly switched lanes right before the big, long semitruck passed them by in a whirl. 

"Let's not ever, ever, ever do that again!" cried Nathan, taking in a deep breath, which made his chest expand.  

———————————

Thanks again for reading!

And I would definitely appreciate your vote! :)