Chapter 21.1 (Myths Become Reality)

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 21.1

Nathan blinked a few times, trying to focus his eyes. He thought it was odd that he was on the ground when moments earlier he'd been standing up. The man that had declared himself a friend was standing in front of him. From Nathan's current viewpoint, the tall man completely dwarfed him, leaving Nathan in complete awe of his stature. The gold breastplate the man wore fit him like a glove, and the individual straps with gold buttons that hung from his brown leather belt appeared fit for a king. His bronze skin was a nice contrast to the snow-colored wings now nestled behind him. Although without a sword, he reminded Nathan of a giant replica of a Grecian warrior prepared for battle.  

Nathan eyed the empty brass scabbard with red jewels that hung from his belt.

"Where are we?" Nathan asked warily.

"Do you not recognize it?" responded the man in a clear and pleasant voice.

Nathan got to his feet. The blades of grass beneath his hands had felt like little shards of plastic. He looked around and immediately noticed the shadowy trees surrounding the meadow they were in. "Well, we're definitely still in the Space In Between," he said. He continued looking around and eventually caught a glimpse of the old monastery off of Route 7 in the distance. "We're in Lynn Field," he said, sounding surprised.

The tall man beamed at him with welcoming amber eyes and nodded.

"Am I still in time to save my friends?"

The mysterious-looking man started to walk away, and what appeared to be a white door of light appeared in front of him. Nathan quickly followed, and the pit of his stomach became warm and relaxed as he got closer. Light from the door fell upon him, and so did a feeling of peace.

"Wait," he called out, and the man turned around to meet him. "What about my friends? Aren't you going to help me?"

"As in all moments in time, this too shall pass. But the choices and the outcomes of today will shape your future and that of your friends."

Nathan looked up at him in bewilderment. "What are you saying?"

His bronze skin and amber eyes seemed to sparkle in the light. "After all the choices have been made, after all the happy moments, setbacks, doubts and failures," he said, "rest assured that your life, your story will be a guiding light for many people."

"Wait," exclaimed Nathan. "Why are you saying all this?

Nathan continued to follow earnestly behind him, but the man quickly spun around exhibiting a firm hand. "You are neither dead nor an immortal spirit, and cannot enter."

Nathan was caught off guard by his command and he froze. He watched as the bronze man with wings continued forward, disappearing in a mist of white light.

He stood there alone again, pondering what had just happened and staring at the empty space that once was a door of light. "How can this get any crazier?" he mumbled, while throwing his hands up in the air. 

He couldn't help feeling angry as he followed the stone path to Grimm Cemetery. He was close enough now to read the familiar Latin words carved at the base of the large oak tree. "Speak no ill of the dead. How ironic, I feel like it's referring to me, now that I've been left here to die. Why help me on the road only to abandon me?"

He shrugged in protest and then sighed again. He felt a little strange when he approached the black iron gate of the cemetery. Everything looked the way it had in his dream, but something was different. In his dream, a sense of urgency had been there; he had heard Leah scream, but now everything was quiet.

He caught a glimpse of a loose stone in the walkway and instantly remembered tripping over it in his dream and falling into the gate. "Well, that matches up," he mumbled, as he proceeded carefully past the gate. "Let's try not to repeat that episode." He was mindful of the various plants entwined around the gate too, recalling that they had startled him.

As soon as Nathan entered the gates, he remembered feeling vulnerable while on the first level. He quickly ran past the rows of small headstone crosses to take refuge on the second level. He didn't bother stopping to hide behind any of the taller monuments because he didn't think they provided much cover.

He felt a sense of déjà vu as he darted up the dilapidated stone steps and ran to the closest mausoleum. Nathan's breathing labored as he slowly peered around the weathered brick wall. "I'm not repeating that part of the dream," he mumbled, while glancing back at the crumbling stone steps. He peered around the wall again, surveying the graveyard. "There has to be another way up to the plaza."

Nathan carefully made his way to another crypt, stooping low, hoping not to be seen. From this angle, he had a clear view of the surrounding white archways and the tall white obelisk on the third level. He noticed things were much quieter than in his dream; there wasn't any chatter or chanting.

He dared to go a little closer by moving to another mausoleum. This one was familiar, however; it had been in his dream. This was the crypt that was hit by the energy ball thrown by the priest with the crescent-shaped medallion, he thought.

Nathan peered from behind the wall, and it was almost painful for him to look at the stone steps leading up to the third level. "I am not going up those stairs," he mumbled, while recalling what happened next. A cold shiver ran down his spine. "There has to be another way!"

Nathan scanned the top level again. He was still astonished by the absence of activity. "Am I too late? Did they take them somewhere else?"

Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, something moved. He ducked instantly. "Shadow Creatures," he muttered, while taking protection behind the wall. One by one they appeared, darting across the brick and mortar floor. Fear gripped his chest, and his stomach began twisting in knots. "Relax, Nathan," he repeated to himself.

The Necrocritters continued toward one of the archways and seemed to disappear as they passed through it, leaving Nathan to wonder where they were going. He relaxed his shoulders, but his relief was short lived. Something else had moved. In each dark archway they slowly appeared. "Shadow Guards," he whispered.

Soon after, two Scarlet Priests also appeared, both wearing red-hooded cloaks. Tied around their waists were decorative gold ropes that flowed to the ground. "Looks like I'm not late after all," he said softly.

The two priests stepped aside and another figure emerged from the archway. "Jonas!" he blurted.

———————————————————

Thanks again for reading! 

And I would definitely appreciate your vote! :)