Chapter 9.2

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 9.2

He made his hands into fists again, but they trembled uncontrollably and felt like they were on fire. "Dream or not, I have to save Leah," he said.

Grimm Cemetery looked the same as it always had. The only noticeable difference was that everything had a grayish hue to it. It was almost like looking at a black and white photo. Nathan approached the stone-and-iron fence to the cemetery and paused. He was surprised that even the plants that wrapped themselves around the black iron gate were gray.

The gate was supported by two stone columns, one on either side. Carved in the stone of one column were the words Grimm, and on the other Cemetery. Nathan was familiar with the urban legend surrounding Grimm Cemetery, but he regarded it as such and didn't want to waste time even thinking about it. He wanted his thoughts focused on finding Leah. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I have no idea what's waiting for me in there," he said to himself.

A leaf from one of the plants wrapped around the gate grazed him across the neck, causing him to spin around quickly. Startled, he tripped over a loose stone and flew headfirst into the gate. The gate swung violently open and slammed into one of the stone pillars.

Nathan wiped his brow. "Whew," he said. He was relieved that the absence of sound also applied to the iron gate. "This lack of sound may actually work to my advantage."

The plot of land that was Grimm Cemetery gradually elevated up three levels. As soon as Nathan entered the gates, he saw the top of the large obelisk towering on the third level. He quickly darted past the rows and rows of battered, old headstone crosses and hid behind some of the taller gravestones and monuments scattered here and there. Carefully, he made his way to the stone steps that were at the end of the pathway. His heart pounded so loudly against his chest that he swore it was probably the only sound that could be heard for miles.

The stone steps, like the stones that made up the iron black gate, were badly weathered. Pieces of stone crumbled beneath his feet with each step he took. Before he reached the top, he paused. He could hear the sound of voices a little ways off in the distance. It almost sounded like someone was conducting a ritual or chanting. Nathan continued carefully up the stone steps to the second level. He could now see the array of mausoleums that decorated the landscape. He had never ventured this far into the cemetery before and in the past had only visited the cemetery to play games of chicken with friends. 

As he had on the first level, he cautiously made his way to the stone steps at the end of the pathway. Nathan compared the many mausoleums to the cemeteries of New Orleans. He had visited New Orleans once with LaDonda and Lafonda during one of LaDonda's trips to visit family. Just like in New Orleans, it truly had looked like a city of the dead.

Slowly, Nathan approached the stone steps that led up to the third level. The voices grew louder and he could definitely tell there were multiple voices. It sounded like chanting, but Nathan couldn't decipher what it was. He strained his ears to hear more, wondering what language it was. It sounded like Latin.

At the foot of the stone steps to the third level, he was close enough to see much of the tall white obelisk that stood at the center of what looked like a memorial plaza. He crept up the steps, trying to catch a glimpse of who was doing the chanting.