Chapter 11.1 (Two Things For Certain)

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad!  Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 11.1

It was Friday: the end of the day and the end of the second week at camp. Nathan waited for Malick at the north entrance to Lake Charleston. He was a little early arriving at the entrance this time, but he didn't mind it. He was looking forward to having a break from the guys on his floor. He wasn't, however, looking forward to preparing fire pits for the night's bonfire with Stephen Malick. But he figured that although he had to hang out with Malick and perform manual labor, at least he was outdoors.

A gust of wind passed him, and Nathan let his mind wander aimlessly. He stared at the large and small trees that lined the north entrance and Lawrence Road. Leaning against the forest preserve sign, he tried to block out the sound of the few cars that drove by and tune into the silence of the forest. He tried to welcome the silence but couldn't. The same thoughts that had plagued him all week began to replay in his mind like a broken record. 

Nathan had spent most of the week thinking about Lafonda and the others and how he could possibly prevent his recent nightmare starring the mysterious woman in white from coming true. All he could do was to keep a watchful eye on Lafonda's tennis shoes. He would occasionally compliment Lafonda on her shoes of choice, hoping to deter her from buying a new pair. He figured that knowing Lafonda and her love for clothing and everything stylish and modern, it was only a matter of time before she traded up. To prevent the gray-and-pink sneakers from appearing on her feet, he would try everything possible to convince her that white shoes was the way to go.

Although he cringed at the thought of it, Nathan had hoped to revisit Grimm Cemetery again in his dreams. He thought if he had the same dream again, maybe he could learn something he hadn't seen the first time. Maybe there was something he had missed that could help to prevent the dream from happening. Unlike the many dreams he'd had before about Leah, nothing happened. In fact, all week Nathan couldn't remember dreaming about anything. His dreams were just as absent as a solution.

He began to doubt whether or not it was even a dream to begin with, because everything seemed so real. Unlike before, with his dreams about Leah, Nathan had felt like he was actually there. The only thing he knew for certain, the only conclusion he kept coming to over and over, was that the blue flame in his room was real and so was Leah.

Everything happening felt so real, especially for Leah; so real that she was committed to a mental hospital because of it. When he wasn't thinking about his dream at Grimm Cemetery and how to prevent it, he was thinking about Leah. He wondered how she was doing.

Nathan often wished he had at least one trusted person to talk to, one person to whom he could tell everything. He wished he had someone to share the burden of what was happening to him and what he knew, but then he would remember Leah. She had no one to talk to, no one she could trust because no one believed her. 

"Hey!" called out a familiar voice.

Quickly, Nathan stood up straight and turned around just in time to see Stephen Malick crossing Lawrence Road.

"Somebody's early," Malick smirked.

Nathan was so deep in thought that he was caught off guard by Malick's remark.