Chapter 22.5

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 22.5

Nathan was surprised and felt embarrassed by the sounds of applause.

Jonathan nudged him forward. "Go, Nathan," he said, while clapping. "Go up there."

Nathan reluctantly headed towards the stage, smiling weakly at the smiling faces in the crowd.

Andy high-fived him right before he met Malick at the stairs.

"Are you just as surprised as I am?" Nathan whispered.

LaDonda smiled and gave them both a diamond-shaped glass plaque that had their names engraved in them.

"And that concludes this year's ceremony," she said. "Please enjoy the food, music and tonight's fireworks display." She waved a hand to the crowd. "Happy Fourth of July, everyone!" she shouted. "And I hope to see some of you next summer."

Nathan and Malick headed down the stage stairs.

Malick playfully held his plaque in the air, trying to reflect the light. "I saw you and Jonathan huddled up in the corner over there," he said. "What was that all about?"

Nathan looked up because he heard music playing. He caught a glimpse of the DJ on stage and noticed that people started to dance.

"Oh, nothing," he said, glancing back at Malick. "Just Jonathan being Jonathan."

Malick raised an eyebrow and stared at him suspiciously. "Well, that guy I told you about checks out," he said. "And we should be able to get a charm or something to cloak you guys with in London. He has a store there. We should go check it out."

A few frown lines suddenly appeared on Nathan's forehead. "Check it out?" he said. "In London?"

"Yeah," continued Malick. "And the friend I told you about, the one that knows more about this stuff, she lives there too."

Nathan grew quiet for a moment. He thought about asking him when they were going to talk about the Order and their powers, but decided to just nod instead.

"There is one other thing," said Malick. "I keep thinking about it and I haven't been able to figure it out. If you were having dreams about Leah before you came to camp, back when you were at home, why didn't they detect you there?"

"Congratulations, Mr. Urye!" said a familiar voice.

Nathan looked up to find Lafonda standing in front of him. Although she looked different with her hair in curls, he recognized her immediately.

"Thanks," he said with a smile. "And by the way, you look nice."

She smiled and then ran her hand across the hem of her dress. Her dress was a bright berry color and designed from a lightweight fabric. The same fabric was looped as a belt around her waist, and the gold locket that lay bare against her skin shone in the courtyard lights.

"Do you really think so?" she asked, surprised. "I got it in St. Louis, when Leah and I went shoe shopping."

"Yes," said Malick, chiming in. "Nathan is right. You do look nice."