Chapter 11.2

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 11.2

The trail to the Northern Cahokia Tribal Museum was narrow. The museum was located near the base of the cliffs, so the trail led upward. Nathan wasn't as familiar with this part of the trail. He was a lot more familiar with the one that led from Lawrence Road to Lake Charleston. He followed close behind Malick and thought about Leah again and then about Lafonda. He cringed when the black-hooded figure with the silver sword popped up in his head again. Up ahead, the trees surrounding the trail were thinning out and he saw the museum's paved parking lot.

Once out of the forest, Nathan attempted to scrape the mud from the bottom of his shoes. He had been to the museum many times before on school field trips, but he couldn't remember ever using the connecting trail to get there. Most people accessed the museum parking lot from Lawrence Road.

He watched as Malick paced happily towards the museum.

LaDonda had given a large contribution for the construction of the museum years ago, and Nathan thought that explained why the outside resembled a downsized version of the Devaro Mansion. The two-story building, though small, housed many rare Cahokia Indian artifacts and information collected about the Northern Cahokia tribe that had once populated the area.

"What are we doing here again?" he asked.

Malick's eyes were wide and his arms stretched open. "Look at that view!" he shouted. "You can really see how amazing the cliffs are, now that we are closer. I can't wait till we're at the top."

Nathan's mouth fell open. "The top?" he blurted, while staring across the parking lot to the connecting trail. "You said nothing about tracking all the way up to the top." Come to think of it, he thought, he didn't say anything to begin with. Why am I following him, anyway?

"Come on," smiled Malick.

Nathan checked his cell phone again. "We don't have time!"

Malick glanced over his shoulder and smiled one last time before disappearing into the forest.

The trees rustled and a light breeze of air rushed through, cooling Nathan's face. Being that it was evening, the museum was closed and the parking lot was completely empty. Nathan checked the time on his cell phone again and considered heading back without Malick. "We have stuff to do!" he protested to himself. He stared at the entrance to the cliffs and another breeze rushed over him.

"Those breezes feel more amazing from the top!" shouted Malick from the forest. 

Nathan glanced up to the top of the cliffs. "Ugh," he moaned. "I know I will regret this, but ... I'm coming!" 

The trail leading from the parking lot up to the cliffs was much wider and wood chipped, so the path was a lot less muddy. Nathan thought this was probably because the museum gave guided tours to the top and to the surrounding Cahokia Caves. 

Malick continued briskly along the trail and occasionally turned around to smile. Nathan didn't mind the distance, and after a few minutes could see something yellow blowing in the wind ahead of him. When he got closer, he saw that two trees next to the entrance to the trail that led downward to the caves behind the cliffs had yellow ribbons tied around them. In the ground, blocking the entrance to the trail, were two metal poles, one on either side, with a thick, rusty metal chain running the length between them.