Chapter 4.1 (Party's Over)

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Also, thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information about the series is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 4.1

Nathan passed by LaDonda and Roy on his way out of the room.  He could tell by the perplexed looks on their faces that they were curious as to why he was in such a hurry. He was pleased that neither stopped him because he was way too embarrassed to stick around, and he didn't want to relive what had just happened by having to explain it to them. 

He kept his head down low, and his hands continued to tremble uncontrollably as he bolted towards the front door of the Devaro Mansion. He was outside now and the summer night air was cool. What is wrong with me? he worried, taking a moment to look down at his hands. 

His hands looked normal besides the shaking and they felt warm even against the cool air. After careful inspection, he also noticed that they were a bright red. That must be from the fruit punch. The juice must've stained my hands.

"Hi, Nathan," said a voice that was unfamiliar to him. 

Immediately, he shoved his hands into his front pockets and turned around to find Jonathan Black staring at him from the front door. Nathan gave a quick smile and tried to turn away, but Jonathan proceeded towards him anyway. "Uh — hi, Jon," he said, after clearing his throat. 

"It's such a beautiful night," said Jonathan, while looking up towards the sky. "Oh, and look, there's also a new moon." He smiled and then returned his gaze back to Nathan. "And I prefer Jonathan, by the way."

"Oh, yeah, sorry about that," said Nathan, appearing slightly anxious. He took a few steps backwards towards the cottage. "I'll remember that, Jonathan."

"I thought I would turn in early to get a good start out at the Cahokia Caves tomorrow, before meeting with Dr. Helmsley," Jonathan announced quickly before Nathan could inch away. "Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day as well." He paused, briefly repositioning his glasses. "Would you care to join me?"

"What?" asked Nathan surprised. He was hoping the conversation wasn't going to last long. "Join you?"

Jonathan grinned. "Well, I was talking with your grandfather and —"

"Uh-huh," uttered Nathan while nodding. He expected anything starting with "I was talking to your grandfather" to be followed by a request of some kind. "You were talking with my grandfather." 

Jonathan paused again and took a dry gulp. "I was talking with your grandfather and LaDonda —" 

"LaDonda!" interrupted Nathan again.  

"Can I please finish?" asked Jonathan. He paused for a second, as if he was awaiting a response. "I'll take your silence as a yes." 

Nathan raised his eyebrows and Jonathan smiled. 

"After learning from Roy and LaDonda about your Cahokia ancestry through your mother," Jonathan continued enthusiastically, "I thought you might want to join me tomorrow at the dig site."

Nathan's eyebrows were still raised and were now accompanied by a frown. "Dig site?" he muttered, "Tomorrow? At the caves?"

"Yes!" exclaimed Jonathan. "It's so exciting that after all these years they are still finding stuff!" His eyes were as wide as saucers now. "Considering that whatever we discover is a part of your history, you could learn firsthand more about yourself and your people." 

I think I've learned enough about myself for one day, Nathan thought, recalling what he had just learned from Lafonda and Amanda about the reality of his nightmares. He got a warm feeling in his chest and began to think about his mother. Besides the fact that she had married his dad, Michael Urye, he didn't know a lot about Grace Sequoya. Everything he knew about the Cahokia tribe, he'd learned on school field trips to the Northern Cahokia Tribal Museum. 

He soon realized that Jonathan was still there and decided to fake a yawn. He thought about stretching to add to the effect, but remembered how red his hands were and opted to leave them in his pockets instead. He also noticed that his hands continued to tremble slightly, but figured it was a good idea to just leave them there. "Thanks for the invite," he said. "But I think I'll pass. I still have to pack for camp on Friday." 

Jonathan's bright blue eyes were still filled with excitement. "Did you know that the Cahokia tribe once occupied most of what is now Southern Illinois before they became known as two separate tribes?" he asked. "And that most scholars attribute the separation to a massive drought that caused famine in the area?" 

"Yes!" howled Nathan, yawning with both arms stretched out in the air. He now thought exposing his hands was worth the risk.

But Jonathan's eyes continued to gleam. "Archeologists have found artifacts that suggest there was a migration of clans from the tribe's southern borders to this area right around Lake Charleston!" He grinned. "Can you guess why they migrated to this area?" 

Nathan huffed and began to stare at the cars lined up around the driveway. "Uh ... the water?" he mumbled. 

"Yes, exactly!" cried Jonathan, while quickly fixing his glasses. "Isn't that amazing?"

"Yes. Amazing," sighed Nathan. 

Jonathan smiled and enthusiastically nodded his head.  "And did you know —"

"Jonathan!" blurted Nathan, and Jonathan looked so startled that Nathan lowered his voice. "Not that I wouldn't mind continuing this most stimulating conversation, but I did promise my grandfather that I would ... that I would ... let the dog out." 

"Oh, you have a dog!" said Jonathan, enthusiastically. "Isn't that wonderful?"

Nathan frowned. He didn't quite understand why he would use the word wonderful. Jonathan continued to smile and repositioned his glasses again. 

"What kind of dog is it?" he asked.

"Uh ... uh," he stuttered, trying to think of something. 

"Yoo-hoo, Jonathan!" called an all-familiar voice. They both turned around to see LaDonda standing at the front door to the Devaro Mansion. She was waving her hand, trying to get Jonathan's attention. "Good, you're still here!" she shouted. "I would like for you to meet someone before you leave." 

Jonathan smiled. "Well, I guess I'd better see what she wants — or rather, see who this person is," he said. "Then, I guess I'll grab the car and head out." 

Nathan opened his mouth to say something, but then paused after looking at the sea of identical silver BMWs parked around the long U-shaped driveway. "Good luck with that," he chuckled.  

Jonathan caught his gaze and then chuckled too. "Thanks," he said halfheartedly as he headed towards the house. "I guess we'll have most of summer to talk."

"Where is he going?" asked LaDonda, when Jonathan got to her. 

"Oh," said Jonathan, walking back inside the house. "He said he had to let the dog out."

"The dog?" she asked, sounding confused. "What dog? Nathan doesn't have a dog." 

———————————-

If you've enjoyed what you've read so far or have any questions, please leave a comment below. 

And I would definitely appreciate your vote!