Chapter 14.1 (Rained Out)

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 14.1

Nathan was staring out the large window with his cell phone at his ear. It had rained all day and fog circled the base of the floor-to-ceiling glass windows in the lobby of Lawrence Hall. It had rained practically all week, and Nathan and the campers spent most of the time indoors, only braving the rain to attend leadership classes. Many of the campers were excited that the week was almost over and didn't mind spending the extra time indoors to work on their final leadership projects. Nathan couldn't believe that camp was drawing to an end and that there was only one week left before it was all over. 

"Hello," said a familiar voice on the phone.

"How's it going, old man?" he said.

"Nathan! How many times do I have to tell you that I may be your grandfather, but I am not old!"

Nathan laughed. "Sorry, Grandpa. I forget how young you are."

"You know I would much rather you called me Roy," he said laughing. "I guess I should be happy that my grandson finally remembered to call me."

Nathan paused. "Yeah ... about that," he said, "I'm sorry that I waited so long to call. I had planned to, but a lot of unexpected things kept popping up."

"Oh, really?" laughed Roy. "Does a girl have anything to do with this?" 

Nathan chuckled and then shook his head. "No, Grandpa," he said. "Where did you get that one?"

There was a brief silence on the phone. "Nowhere. Just trying to figure out what's captured all my grandson's attention."

Nathan paced in front of the large windows. He looked up when Lafonda entered the lobby. "Lafonda," he said underneath his breath.

"What?" asked Roy. "Is Lafonda there?"

"Don't give me that innocent routine," Nathan said with a frown. "You must have heard something from Lafonda."

Lafonda looked Nathan's way and smiled.

"Grr!" Nathan groaned, while quickly diverting his eyes.

Roy chuckled. "That is true," he said. "I do hear from her. In fact, I think she calls to chat at least twice a week."

"Whatever. What did she say this time?"

"Nothing that I recall," answered Roy. "Then again, we do speak often, and with my old age it's hard for me to remember everything."

Nathan rolled his eyes. "Okay, Grandpa."

"So," said Roy, "how is setting up the bonfires going?"

"Uh — what?" stammered Nathan. "What do you mean?"

Roy paused to clear his throat. "LaDonda mentioned that you were setting up the bonfires out at Lake Charleston on Friday nights, and I was curious about how that was going."

"Oh," responded Nathan. "Everything is going okay, I guess." He suddenly stopped pacing. "What? Did LaDonda say something?"

"Relax, son," Roy laughed. "Not everyone is keeping tabs on you."

Nathan paused. He caught a glimpse of Lafonda, Alan and Angela setting up additional chairs in the lounge area. "Good," he said, "because at times it definitely feels like it."

Roy continued to laugh. "So are you managing getting the fires started by yourself?" he asked. 

"By myself?" said Nathan. "No, another counselor from camp is helping me."

"Oh," responded Roy. "And how is that going?"

Nathan grinned. "Good, for the most part," he said. "At times he can be a pain, but he's all right. Underneath it all, I think he's a good guy."

"Good. Sounds like you might be making a new friend at camp."

Nathan laughed. "I wouldn't go as far as to say that. Let's wait until the end of next week. Camp isn't over yet."

Roy laughed. "Speaking of next week," he said, "what are your plans after camp is over? You'll have an entire month off before school starts up again."

"I'm not sure," Nathan stammered. "I haven't really thought about it."

"Once camp is over, do we need to make an appointment to check on your hands? How's that rash coming?"

Nathan felt his face turning red. "Rash!" he groaned. "What rash? My hands are fine."

"So, you've been using the ointment, then?"

Nathan paused. "Uh — yeah," he muttered.

"So, if the ointment is working for you," continued Roy, "why can I see it on your dresser right now?"

Nathan felt embarrassed. "Everything is fine! I just didn't want you to worry. Seriously, Grandpa, my hands are fine."

"Uh-huh," uttered Roy. "Don't forget you'll be home in a week, and I'll get to see for myself."

Nathan watched as Jonas and Christina emerged from the cafeteria and joined Lafonda and the others. Samantha and Eva Marie joined them shortly after. "Okay, Grandpa," he said. "I'll see you in about a week."

"Or sooner," commented Roy.

Nathan continued to watch Lafonda and the others. He was curious as to why they were setting up so many chairs in the lounge area. "I'll talk to you soon," he said.

Roy laughed. "I'm sure I'll see you before you call again."

Nathan laughed. "Have a good evening."

"You too," said Roy. "And be safe." 

Nathan closed his phone and placed it in his pocket. What did he mean by sooner? he thought. 

—————————————-

Thanks again for reading! 

And I would definitely appreciate your vote! :)