Chapter 9.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad!  Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 9.3

Nathan lay motionless on the ground of the second level. Through the cloud of dust that now filled the air from the crumbling stairs, he could see that one of the red-hooded figures was getting closer to him.

Slowly, he attempted to get up, as whispers and hissing sounds trickled down from the top level. Red- and black-hooded figures were now looking down at him. "What the heck is all that hissing noise?" he mumbled. "Are these guys snakes now?"

"Ah, my head!" he moaned, before immediately falling back down.

The red-hooded figure was closer now, and Nathan could see the gold-and-silver crescent-shaped medallion around his neck.

Nathan placed his hand on his head and moaned. His hands burned a bright red, but felt cool to the touch. "I have to get up," he cried. "I have to save Leah!"

Nathan tried to get up again, but this time fell to his knees. He looked towards the crumbling staircase and saw that the red-hooded figure was almost upon him. The figure stretched his palms out towards Nathan, and the gold-and-silver medallion around his neck radiated a bluish hue. 

Nathan's eyes grew wide in astonishment. "Um, this doesn't look good." he stuttered.

Finally, he managed to stumble to his feet, but a blue ball of light was headed straight towards him. He dove out of the way, missing it by inches. The ball of blue light hit one of the mausoleum walls behind him, pulverizing it. He ducked as pieces of the wall went flying everywhere.

Nathan lay on the ground again, and his head throbbed with pain. He took a look at the wall and surveyed the pieces of it that now lay all around him. "Yup," he uttered. "Like I said, not good at all." He thought about getting up, but his head continued to throb. Another ball of light was hurling towards him, but he couldn't move. He closed his eyes and expected the worst.

There was a brief moment of silence followed by a soft thud. Slowly, he opened his eyes, and in front of him was a pair of pink and gray sneakers. "Lafonda?" he said, confused. "W-what are you doing here?"

"Saving your ass, of course," she responded, helping him to his feet. 

Nathan smiled. He looked over her shoulder, where the red-hooded guy with the gold-and-silver medallion around his neck now lay slumped over a pile of rubble from the staircase.

"B-but how?" Nathan stuttered.

Lafonda's smile quickly faded. "I —"

A black-hooded figure suddenly appeared behind her. She gasped, and her brown eyes grew wide. Nathan watched helplessly as a small trickle of blood fell from her mouth. The faceless hooded figure withdrew his double-edged sword from her back, and Lafonda's legs gave way underneath her.

Nathan reached out to grab her, and they both slumped to the ground.

Other black-hooded figures appeared, their silver swords clutched upright against their chests. Nathan held tight to Lafonda's lifeless body while trying to fight back the tears that swelled in his eyes. "No," he cried. "No!"

Suddenly, something began to burn deep within his stomach. It wasn't anger that churned inside of him; this was peaceful. His hands stopped trembling and burning, but his entire body felt like it radiated energy. 

More black-hooded figures appeared, and Nathan's heart pounded relentlessly against his chest. He could see his reflection in the blades of their swords as they prepared to strike and the fiery bright blue flame in the palm of his hand.

———————————

Thanks again for reading! 

And I would definitely appreciate your vote! :)