Chapter 12.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 12.3

They stumbled up the staircase with the gray-and-black creatures not too far behind them. Nathan felt like they couldn't move fast enough. The creatures were now on the same level as them. They were trying to surround Nathan and Jonas by climbing up the walls and ceiling.  

"They're everywhere," Jonas shouted in panic. "Like roaches!"

"Head for the door!" Nathan shouted.

Jonas hurried for the door and Nathan followed. One of the creatures sprung from the ceiling, landing at the heels of Nathan's feet.

"Aaah!" he yelled.

The creature's small, hairy arms and hands swiped repeatedly at his legs and feet. Furiously, Nathan kicked it, trying to avoid its sharp teeth and long nails. He was finally able to kick the creature in the head, sending it flying over the heads of the others and down the stairs.

"The door won't budge!" said Jonas.

"What?" Nathan cried, pushing him to the side. "This door shouldn't be here. There was a blue door here!"

Jonas tried the door again. "What blue door?" he yelled. "There is no blue door." Relentlessly, he pounded on the door, but every hit was met with silence. "Help!" he yelled. "Somebody help us!"

Creatures from the ceiling were dropping down in front of them and on top of the others, starting to surround them by the door. There was a deep growl from some of them and a high-pitched screeching sound from the others. For the most part, they appeared cloaked in shadow, making it hard to track their movements.

Jonas placed his back against the door and covered his ears. "Why are they making that noise?" he groaned.

Nathan could see them up close now. They were just how he remembered them in his dreams about Leah, especially their sharp teeth and long nails. He remembered how they'd clawed at her flesh, scratching her and biting her. Nathan thought the creatures looked like overstuffed hairy gerbils, the size of small cats, but with flat faces and no tails. He found himself as equally disturbed by their manic red eyes as he was by their claws and teeth.

Nathan felt Jonas cowering behind him, and several of the creatures looked ready to pounce. Nathan's breath labored. His heart pounded against his chest. "Stay behind me!" he cautioned Jonas.

Stealthily, several of the creatures launched into the air, their claws pointed at the boys and saliva falling from their mouths. Nathan crouched down, and his hand shook uncontrollably as he raised it to shield his face. 

Without warning, a huge ball of energy emerged from Nathan's hand, knocking several of the creatures unconscious and leaving a trail of blue light. The force from the discharge of energy sent Nathan and Jonas hurling backwards, forcing the door open, and landing them on the floor on the other side.

Nathan shook his head and stood up.

Jonas placed his hand against his head, and Nathan helped him to his feet.

"How did you do that?" asked Jonas.

Nathan looked down at his hands. They were still red and trembling. "I don't know," he said. "But my hands are still shaking, so I don't think we are out of this yet."