Chapter 3.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Also, thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information about the series is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 3.3

Nathan blinked his eyes and looked intently again at the woman in the white dress, this time expecting to see something different. After blinking and adjusting his eyes several times, he finally shook his head in disbelief.   

I guess everyone deserves to look good on their birthday, he thought, internalizing for what seemed to him an overnight transformation.

For a second, Lafonda turned in Nathan's direction. When their eyes met, she smiled a huge grin. "The jig is up: I've been spotted," he said. "I guess I'd better head over there."

Reluctantly, Nathan navigated through the crowd and towards the center of the room. He had approached Lafonda and the blonde from the side, and for the moment, had gone unnoticed as he stood behind them.   

"So, Amanda," said Lafonda sympathetically, while tossing her long black hair off to one side. "Have you heard from Leah — you know, since the accident?"

"Is that what people are calling it these days?" scoffed Amanda, while running her fingers through her straight blond hair. "All I know is that Steve and I had returned to the dorm room to get my cell phone, and there was Leah in the middle of the room, covered in blood, and threatening to hit people with my lamp!"

"So you haven't gone to visit her at the hospital or tried to call her?" Lafonda asked, sounding disappointed. "Amanda, she was your roommate."

Amanda huffed. "After what I saw that day," she said, "I'm terrified of her." Her sparkling green eyes appeared to flicker with fire in them. "I mean, even Steve was scared to enter the room, and he's built like a football player! I'm telling you, Lafonda, she was like a wild woman — Tarzan's mother gone crazy!" She shrugged. "I guess a couple of girls were playing cards outside the room and heard her screaming. I think they tried to help her." 

"Yes," said Lafonda, "I was in my room when I heard the screaming and all the commotion out in the hallway."

Amanda rolled her eyes. "She was going on and on about monsters and about something attacking her." 

"Yes!" agreed Lafonda. "And we were trying to help her, but she was so frantic, so terrified. She wouldn't let anyone get near her."

"I guess it was just a matter of time before Leah lost it," shrugged Amanda. 

"What do you mean?" asked Lafonda, appearing confused.  

Amanda frowned and her green eyes gawked at her incredulously. "Everyone noticed how strange she was acting after her roommate Jamie died in the first semester, Lafonda," sneered Amanda. "And it doesn't take a genius to know she was having nightmares with all that late-night screaming." She leaned in. "But honestly, could you blame her mother for having her committed?" 

"Amanda, I don't think Leah's crazy!" Lafonda snapped in disbelief. "I just wish we could have helped her." 

"Well, the only people that could help her were campus security guards," Amanda concluded coldly. "It eventually took five security guards to subdue her; thank goodness somebody called the police."