Newborn(OS)

Sunlight pierced into the room of the 2 BHK flat, forcing Omkara to open his eyes. He looked at the clock and saw it flashing 6am. He woke up carefully and closed the curtains completely to prevent the sun rays from entering the room. He turned back and looked at the person on the bed. He knelt beside the bed and planted a small kiss on her forehead. "Good morning Gauri" he whispered in her ears, careful enough not to wake her up. He stood up and went to the crib placed beside the bed. There lied their daughter, sleeping peacefully unaware of the havoc happening in their lives. With a small smile Omkara took his clothes and walked to the bathroom.

Omkara Singh Oberoi worked as an Art professor in a college. Gauri, his wife, works as an English professor in the same college, supports his every decision. They shifted to this flat when Omkara decided to continue his job permanently. Their family members pays frequent visits so the problem of missing them never rises.

When Gauri's pregnancy was announced, his brothers and their wives had stayed with them as he couldn't get leave from the college. Gauri's carrying period was a bliss. Her excitement and mood swings were perfectly handled by Omkara. 1 month back, they welcomed their first child.

The problems started there. The first week was extremely tiring for Gauri. Unending fatigue and lack of interest became frequent. She found it difficult to handle the baby. When sleep deprivation started, Omkara took her to the doctor.

Postpartum depression; Omkara was hearing that word for the first time. The condition was something some women experienced post delivery. She may feel sick, alone,difference in sleeping and eating habits, trouble bonding with the child, fatigue, lack of interest and many more. Fatigue, sleeping problems and lack of interest was more in Gauri's case.

But that was not what worried Omkara. She couldn't handle their baby. She feeds her but cannot calm her down. Omkara had to take leaves from the college. Nights became miserable for both Gauri and the baby. Gauri's condition was not improving.

Omkara walked into the kitchen with a sigh. No, he was not having problems with doing household works. But he missed the old Gauri. Who always had a beautiful smile on her face. All these thoughts came to a halt as he heard the calling bell ringing. Not wanting wake up his girls, he quickly went to the door.

"Good morning Om" that was it. He didn't get the chance to reply as all of them had entered. "Guys! What are you doing here?" Omkara asked shouting carefully. His family sometimes became overprotective. Especially his brothers and their wives.

"Shivaay, I told you, I'll manage" he said with a sigh. He didn't like troubling them. "Om, it's okay to take help" Shivaay said in a serious tone and Omkara knew there was no point in arguing. "I'll handle the kitchen. You go and get ready" Shivaay said and Omkara nodded his head with a smile.

Omkara walked into the room and saw Gauri sitting on the bed all awake. "Good morning" she said as she saw him. He smiled at her and went to take his outfit. "It's ironed" Gauri said and he smiled in surprise. His black shirt and pants were neatly folded and kept on the table. He slowly sat beside her wrapping one arm around her.

"Shivaay and Rudy are here with Bhabhi and Bhavya. Do you want me to stay?" he softly asked and she nodded in a no with a smile. "I'm fine" she said and he kissed on her forehead before getting up. Gauri felt her heartbeats increase as time passed. Omkara would soon leave for work. She was feeling lonely. No, she couldn't let this control her. She had to get a grip on herself.

Omkara cradled the baby in his arms as Gauri walked to the kitchen. She was trying to engage in things. Counselling was working. Omkara smiled as his daughter played with the button of his shirt. "I know you need her. But she needs some more time sweetheart. Don't worry, you'll be soon in your Ma's arms" Omkara said unaware of the fact that Gauri was standing outside.