Mistletoe (OS)

She stared at the glaring lights that were hung on the Christmas tree. They looked okay. The tree was right in place, with tiny bells and reindeers hanging here and there. On top, adorned the star, completing the tree.

Then why did she feel so melancholic. It was Christmas. The season of joy! The season of love!

Oh. Love..

Love. That had to come up. It was Christmas. The season of love. All that she lost, was altogether a season!

Her fingers were occassionally caressing the end of her pashmina, trying to buy some heat in the chilling weather. She took a deep breathe before standing up and opening the door of her room as she walked in to the group of people.

"Gauri!" A smile took it's place on her lips as she heard Bhavya calling her. They were at the Christmas party in Bhavya's house. With her parents away, Bhavya had seized the opportunity to call in a few friends.

But the party was not what Gauri came in for. Her eyes had been searching for Bhavya's elder brother from start. That boy had charmed her beyond words!

"Hey! Who are you looking for?" Bhavya's question made her a bit conscious about her actions and she shook her head. "Nothing. I was looking at everything. It's nice." She said, genuinely appeased by the decorations.

"I know. Oh but the credit goes to Bhai" she said sipping on her glass of juice. Gauri nodded as she hid the smile that threatened to break out. Ofcourse it was him!

"Gauri.. hey!" Her breathe slowed down for a second as she heard that voice. Oh that voice! How it managed to cocoon her! Her eyes went up as she looked at him, his eyes, and like every other time, those depths enchanted her.

"Hi Om!" She said with a small smile, her breathe still caught up in her throat. He smiled and looked around, and then back at her as he spoke, "So, what do you think of the place?"

"Oh it's nice. Everything looks good." She said in appreciation, her mind running at light speed processing his words. Whatever he said, or whatever he did, felt surreal.

Maybe it was just the rush of the first love. She didn't care. It was good. She liked him. But he was Bhavya's brother and she couldn't cross that boundary. Besides, why would he choose her!

"Ah well, except for the Christmas tree. Something's amiss." Om said as he looked at the tree. Gauri followed his line of sight and frowned and walked towards the tree, examining it all way.

"No.. it looks fine. Or maybe.." she stalled as she searched her pocket for something. "..you could add this" she said as she forwarded him the tiny embellishment. "Clover leaf?" His brow arched and he smiled at her in confusion.

"Yeah.. it's hope after all. And Christmas is all about hopes and dreams." She said as she stared at his face, a little too long that he might've noticed. "Right. So where do we place this?" She shrugged and his gaze wandered all around the tree searching for a spot.

"How 'bout here?" He asked as he hung it right beneath the star, on a small branch, lighted enough to catch the eye. "Nice" she smiled looking at the spot he made for it.

They looked back at eachother as neither of them spoke. The voices in the background seemed to fade away for her, as she kept looking at those eyes in admiration, stealthy enough to escape being caught. She was the first to look away.

Giving him one last smile, she walked off towards Bhavya, leaving him behind, not bothering to take a second glance. She was too scared to get herself hooked in the depths of his eyes.