THE RUNAWAY BRIDE (OS)

Omkara banged on the bonnet of the car. He cursed Rudra for not servicing it. "Damn" he muttered to himself. He leaned on the car and looked up. The night was draped in its dark attire with silver stars adding more beauty to it. He sighed.

Past few days had been the worst for him. His mother setting herself on flames, her cries, her pain; everything played in his head. She tried to give up her life for the man she loved.

LOVE; Omkara let out a humourless chuckle as he thought about. Love only gifted him pain. He loved his father, he was trying to love Riddhima, he would have loved Ishaana. But all these people gave him nothing but pain. The Omkara who believed in love no longer existed. This was Omkara Singh Oberoi. This time he won't let his heart rule. It's too fragile for another heartbreak.

His trance was broken when he heard some chiming. But before he could turn around and look at it, he collided with someone.

Gauri ran as fast as she could. The goons were still behind her. Her bridal attire made it hard for her to run. But she couldn't give up. She won't give up.

Her limbs pained from all the running. The train journey from Bareilly to Mumbai itself was tiring. On top of that running from these goons. She looked back to check whether the goons were still behind her. But as she did so, she collided with something hard.

She closed her eyes in fear. "Hey Shankarji" she called out to her lord as she expected the cold road.

"Hey Shankerji" he heard her say as she hit him. Before she could hit the ground Omkara wrapped his hands around her waist securely. Her eyes were closed in fear. She gripped tightly onto his shoulder.

For a few seconds time stood still. Slowly, Gauri opened her eyes. Omkara looked into those eyes with so much intensity. Her eyes reflected fear. She blinked her eyes breaking his reverie.

That's when he realised their position. He quickly made her stand up and took a step away from her. Before he could question her about something he heard some noise.

"There she is" he heard a man say. A group of scary looking men were approaching them. He looked at her. Her eyes showed extreme fear. Her breathes had still not calmed down. She looked at him with teary eyes.

No matter how hard he tried to be, he couldn't leave her alone. Making up his mind, he stood in front of her as a sheild.

"Get out of our way" one of the men roared. He turned to her and asked "Do you want to go with them?". She quickly nodded her head in a no. "You see that. She doesn't want to come with you. Now get out of MY way" he said sternly.

"You stupid. She ran away from her wedding. We are here to take her back. Move" the man said. "I won't" he replied. The men moved forward to attack them. Before the hit landed on him, he held her hand tightly and started running.

The goons was taken aback with his sudden move. Omkara saw that they were far behind. He quickly hid in a corner with her as the goons ran off in the other direction. With a sigh, he came out from the hiding.

"Drink this" Gauri saw a water bottle being offered to her. She hurriedly gulped down the water. She exhaled as she kept a hand on her heart. She looked at the long-haired man with gratitude.

"Thank you" she said. "It's okay. Where do you want to go? I'll drop you" he said as he started checking his car. After a few attempts, the car made a screeching sound indicating that it was fine.

"I..I don't know where to go" she said. He looked at her. She was not ready to come with him. "I can't wait for long. I have a family waiting for me" he said getting inside the car. She breathed an air of relief as she got inside. Silence. Dead Silence.

Finally he asked, "I'm Omkara. What's your name?". "Gauri" she replied. "Why did you run away from your marriage?" "My Chacha and Chachi sold me to Kali Thakur. Kali Thakur has the age of my Chacha. He threatened to kill my mother if I didn't marry him. I was helpless. But today in the morning I got hold of Jhanvi Thakurain's phone. I called the kids and they took my mother away from there. She must've reached Pune with Thakurain. I escaped and boarded my train to Mumbai" she said with tears.

Om saw his own reflection in this woman. She was ready to sacrifice her life for her mother. Mom. He looked at his phone and saw many calls from Shivaay. He had come without informing. He sighed.

"You look troubled Omkaraji" Gauri had been noticing the creases on his forehead. "Omkaraji" he repeated in his head. "Kya hua?" she asked again. He exhaled sharply. "My Mom tried to kill herself because of my father" he said. Gauri could feel him.

"My father is going to divorce my Mom. Just because he want to marry a young woman" Omkara said in disgust. Gauri cringed at that. How could a father do like that? "Don't worry. Shankerji will make everything fine. Hume poora viswaas hai" she said.

He was amazed at this woman's belief. After all those mishaps in life, she believed in god. "Why did you come to Mumbai? I mean.. You could've gone with your Mother" he asked. "I work here" she replied. He was surprised. "So you would be having an apartment right?" he asked. He could drop her there. "I had an apartment. But last week, Kali Thakur threatened the owner not to let me live there" she replied.

She felt better talking to this stranger. From her words, Omkara understood one thing. This girl was a fighter. He was ready to face his problems. He was not going to run away from them. He looked at the runaway bride. Oh!! How he wished he met her before every other woman. With a smile playing on his lips he concentrated on the road.

Thank you for reading.

Stay happy.