Sweet Conclusions (OS)

Omkara stared at the farewell arrangements of the college with a small smile. The final year students were leaving the college this year.

He too, was leaving the college today. He was getting a transfer. He's been working in the college for an year and a half now. He was grateful for everything he had.

Whenever he felt bad, he would think of the hellhole he escaped. This was so much better than being in a place where jealousy and sadism made the foundation, love and happiness always put at stake and humiliation was a lifestyle.

This place and way of living was heaven compared to that. He sighed before walking to the cafeteria to get himself a cup of coffee. 

He waited for her to turn to him as he waited at the counter. She worked at the cafeteria and was his only friend in this place.

She was one of a kind. Something about her caught his attention everytime she was around. She would listen to his random musings. She would talk to him about everything under the sky.

And that's how, he fell for Gauri. Love was not something he expected in life. But ever since he met her, he'd been hoping to love and to be loved.

Taking a deep breathe, he smiled at her as she placed his coffee on the table. "Gauri" he called before she could walk away.

"Yeah?" She responded with a smile increasing his nervousness. Shaking away the unwanted thoughts, he stared straight into her eyes as he spoke.

"I- Gauri, you're my only friend here. You've been with me and stood beside me through my tough times. I really like you Gauri. Like, as in the sense, I love you."

"Oh."

Rudra said as Omkara paused to take a sip of his drink. "So that's how you and Gauri- I mean Bhabhi, started your life together?" Omkara nodded as a small smile spread on his lips.

"It's better to say that I started my life. Till then, I'd never felt this much of happiness." Omkara's words hurt Rudra. But it was true. His brother was taken for granted by every family member.

"We miss you, O"

Tears threatened to spill from Omkara's eyes. A shaky breathe left his lungs as he stared at his wife who was fast asleep in the car. Turning back to Rudra, he patted his shoulders with a tiny smile.

"How are you Rudy?"

Rudra couldn't control his tears as he heard that question. Omkara was the elder figure in his life. True that he had Shivaay; but Omkara was someone he always looked up for advices. Living a life without that brother seemed depressing to him.

"Come back O."

Omkara didn't have a reply for that question. Going back was not a thing on his list. But what about Gauri? He was forbidding her from the joy of having an extended family. His mother would love her.

Their child would grow up in a big family. Along with his brothers' kids. Wouldn't that be happy? But then, that wasn't the only thing. With that happiness came great frustrations. Why would he want his wife and child to go through the weight of a dysfunctional family!

"How's Mom?" Rudra knew that was an attempt to dodge his question. "She is fine. In fact, she's better. When you left, she was destroyed. Her hope was gone." Omkara felt guilt stabbing his heart.

"But then she realised why you left. Dad's affairs equally affected us. She gave him an ultimatum. He could either stand in the family and have the luxuries of an Oberoi, being a loyal husband or he could walk away."

Rudra sighed before speaking the next line.

"He chose the latter. It broke Mom to a small extent. But she stood strong. They signed the divorce papers before informing the family of their decision. Dadi had immediately declared that Dad wouldn't be a part of the family anymore; that he brought enough disgrace and none of them would be tolerated afterwards."

"Mom hasn't looked back after that. She came back to the company. Shivaay bhaiyya says that it's because of her hardwork the company cracked many deals Dad aborted. She's now happy with her life."

A content smile was up on Omkara's face. That was all he wished for when he left. His mother's happiness. And she was.

"You are her will to move forward O. The day you left was her day of realisations. She is now a hopeful woman. And she is hopeful that one day, her son would come back."

The cafe was closing. Both of them walked out in silence staring at the road. The night was an outbreak. Gauri was awake by now and was smiling at them.

Omkara opened her side of the door and kneeled beside her. Her brow rose up in confusion as he switched her look between the brothers.

"Gauri"

"What happened?"

He took a deep breathe as he once again contemplated on his decision. No, there was no budging.

"This is Rudy."

"Oh!"

Realisation quickly dawned her as she smiled at Rudra. She knew the entire history of his family. This had been one of her prayers.

"If I say that we have to go with him-"

"Really!?"

Her voice was filled with excitement. A chuckle escaped Rudra's lips as he heard that.

"I know you miss you family Om. Especially your mother and brothers. I grew up without a family. To have one had been a childhood dream. I'll be the happiest if you decided to go back Om."

She said with a fond smile. Rudra now understood why his brother loved this woman so much. She was something!

"Om?"

"Yeah?"

"Are we going home?"

"Yes."

Rudra was sure his cheeks hurt because of the grin on his face. Omkara rose from his knees and turned to face him.

"You better drive carefully!"

"That's like my brother!"

Rudra said with a teary chuckle as he hugged Omkara. He immediately jumped into the driver's seat as Omkara too got inside the car.

Gauri leaned onto the window pane as the lines of an old poem played in her mind.

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all"

- Emily Dickinson

Hey all! So this is the much requested second part of "Sweet Encounters". Hope y'all liked it.

Do tell me your views. Criticisms are openly welcomed.

Thank you for reading.

Stay safe. Be happy.