Balcony Tales (OS)

Dedicated to I_S_H_U

Omkara sat in his balcony sipping his tea. His day started with a tea. He can drink it any day, anytime. He was enjoying the morning as the light wind flew through the curtains of his apartment. He still had time before going to the gallery. He looked at the adjacent balcony and sighed in relief.

But before he could enjoy the peace, a radio started singing and he closed his eyes defeated.

Mere Saamne Waali Khidki Mein
Ek Chaand Ka Tukda Rehta Hai
Afsos Ye Hai Ke Vo Hamse
Kuchh Ukhda Ukhda Rehta Hai

A petite woman came dancing at the adjacent balcony singing along with the song. He looked at her annoyed and she blew him a flying kiss. He shook his head and she gave him a bright smile.

"Good morning Om" she said giving one of her brightest smiles. "Don't you get tired of this Gauri?" He asked irately to which she shrugged. "It's not my office duty that I'll get tired of it. I like doing this" She said and he looked away rolling his eyes.She went inside her apartment and he lightly smiled.

Gauri Sharma; the girl next door. He had rented this apartment 3 years back. On his first day, his bathroom was devoid of water. He had ringed her bell and that's how they met. Light conversations to balcony dinners, they formed a very close bond in one year. That's when, all of a sudden, on a fine morning she proposed him. Since that day, every morning she plays songs professing her love for him.

He was amused that she didn't announce her love for him today. A small part of his heart silently wished to hear that from her but he shook those thoughts away. As if hearing his thoughts, she suddenly appeared.

"Omkara" she called and he looked at her. For a second, he was stuck in her beauty. "I love you" she said breaking his trance and hopped inside. He smiled and rolled his eyes as he too proceeded into his space.

The day was not eventful. Omkara had to supervise a few things as his gallery was under renovation. Gauri, as usual, was buried in a heap of files.

After a tiring day, Omkara stepped out as he started walking towards the bus stop. He loved this freedom; he was not expected to fulfill anything. The weight of being an Oberoi couldn't surround him.

Upon reaching back, switched on the fan but to his bad luck, the power was gone. He sighed and walked to the balcony, hoping to breathe fresh air. He smiled as the light breeze blew among his hair.

"O My God!" He turned as he heard Gauri's voice. He smiled confused as he saw her standing with widened eyes and slightly open mouth. "Why are you gaping?" He asked and she closed her mouth.

"You looked sinfully handsome!" He looked away at her words. "Why don't you smile like that more often?" She asked and he sighed. "Shut up Gauri" he admonished her with a small blush. He breathed in relief as he saw the fan working. He walked inside not giving into Gauri's calls.

Omkara was about to drink some water when the radio started playing from Gauri's balcony.

Yeh chandsa roshan chehra
Zulfon ka rang sunehra
Yeh jheel si neeli ankhen
Koi raaz hai inme gehra
Taarif karun kya uski
Jisne tumhe banaya

He could hear Gauri singing but right now, he needed a bath. Smiling to himself, he walked to his room.

-----------------------

Gauri smiled as she turned the radio off and walked inside humming the tune to herself. She had been doing this since long. At first, it was just fun; to make him fall for her.