Chapter Eleven : Apart

"They turned us into a perfect instrument for rehabilitation of the time continuum. Or "corrections", as they call them."

I shut my eyes as Five's words flew into my mind, inhaling sharply as I deeply wished that it never happened. But then again if Five never agreed to that crazy Handler, we might never arrived on 2019.

Fluttering my eyes back open, I scan Luther's judging face. I didn't like it.

"Don't look at us like that. We weren't the only ones, you know. Besides, we were desperate," I scoff, glancing at Five hoping for his support.

"Sky's right. There were others like us. Beings out of time, fractured, extracted from the lives that they knew. I don't know how they got there. Hell, even Sky doesn't," Five chuckled, "But I do know that none of them were as good as me and Sky."

My mind automatically do a little flashback to our last mission; The Assassination of John F Kennedy. The one we didn't even finish properly because Five finally solved his 45 years worth of calculations.

"They didn't realise it, but we were biding our time, trying to figure out the right equation so we could get back. If we could just get back, I knew we could stop the apocalypse. Save the world."

"So we broke our contract," I finished Five's words softly.

"So..."

I glance up to Luther who's bringing a cup of black coffee for Five, who gladly receives it. Luther looks at me then points at Five's coffee, asking if I wanted one. I simply shake my head before walking over to Diego's table. I grab a clean cup before pouring a decent amount of clean water from the tip of my wand.

"You guys were hit men?"

"Yes."

I quickly chug onto the water, relieved as I were dehydrated from my breakdown last night.

"Uh... I mean, you had a code, right? You didn't just kill anybo-"

"Nope," I cut Luther, popping the p as I sit the cup back down to the table. "Anyone mess with the timeline, killed without hesitation."

"What about innocent people?"

I sigh softly as I walk over to the bed, sitting down next to Five.

"It was the only way we could get back here."

"Not true, but you do you." Five glare at me as if he's saying, "Sky, please, a little help here?" but I don't care. Someone needs to tell him that he's not right all the time.

"But that's murder."

"Jesus, Luther, grow up. We're not kids anymore. There's no such thing as good guys or bad guys. There's just people going about their lives," Five snapped, rolling his eyes slightly at Luther's naive comment. "But when the world ends, all those people die, including our family."

Family.

I shut my eyes once more, taking another sharp breath as I feel tears prickle at the back of my eyes.

This isn't fair.

As much as I try to push this feeling away these past few days because I didn't want to be a selfish prick, it still isn't fair.

Five get to meet his family a few days before the end of the world, while I'm here stuck with him, being his sidekick in all this saving the world bullshit?

What if we failed? What if in the next few days, the world ends anyway, everybody dies? I'll never get to meet Draco again.

No. I'm done with this.