Part 1: Chapter 19

I caught him looking at me. Jamie was really testing my resolve to ignore him. Apparently my change in behaviour had left him trying to figure me out, which was another problem.

He was a problem. I should have left him at home, but I gave in too easily to his request and now he was going to be right under my nose distracting me for the entirety of the convention.

Ignoring him was not working. I needed to get rid of him, for the good of my endeavors and for my own good as well, but I was stuck with him. He was too much trouble to send to another location and I could not bear to kill him nor release him.

I could have groaned, except it was not the impression I wanted to make and I had no idea who could be watching now that we were in vampire central where all the gossips lay in wait.

I turned away from my most intriguing human and towards the building and my purposes. I pushed him out of my mind and turned it towards more useful, but not more amusing matters.

My stride was confident as I climbed the steps and made my way to my chambers. The halls were quiet, since most of the youngest among us would be getting prepared for their daily rests.

Still, I greeted several others among my peers politely as I made my way determinedly to my room.

"Councillor Vienne," someone called. I did not even have to look to recognize Councillor Enrique's voice. I schooled my expression into one of pleasure to hide my annoyance.

"Councillor Enrique, a pleasure to see you again."

His expression told me that the pleasure was all his. "Ready for another quarterly?"

"Absolutely," I said.

"I heard you're putting forward a bill," he commented as he began to walk with me.

I did not sigh at his all too obvious attempt at subtlety. "I am."

"I'm quite surprised. You're particularly active this year."

Well, if nothing else, Councillor Enrique was something of a filter-less weathervane for the opinions of the majority.

"I simply put a bill forward whenever inspiration hits and I was particularly inspired recently."

"I am curious about what you're bringing forward this time," he said in the most ridiculous attempt at coyness.

I smiled warmly, as if tempted to give in. "I'm afraid I am going to have to keep my mouth shut just a bit longer."

He nodded and tried some expression I imagined was supposed to be boyish charm, but failed miserably. "Not even a hint?"

Stopping outside my chambers, I sighed heavily, as if he was convincing me. "Very well, Councillor. I'll just give you a tiny spoiler. It's related to the cause that is ever in the centre of importance in my mind, blood security." It was my favourite issue, because blood was my favourite thing.

It was always a good argument to use, because even the most cruel, callous, and foolish vampire cared about maintaining their source of blood on some level.

He nodded. "Ah, of course."

"I, of course, understand that you cannot make any promises, but I do hope that you will consider supporting my bill when the time comes."

"Of course, I know that you always have the best interest of our brothers and sisters at heart, Councillor."

"Indeed," I agreed to the laughable supposition.

On the surface, I was an ancient, arrogant vampire who cared only about her own amusements and the future of the vampire race.

Below the surface, I was an ancient, arrogant vampire who cared only about her own amusements and the future of her own concerns.