Part 1: Chapter 5

I smiled at the reaction he had not been entirely able to hide, slight movement of the jaw from his gritting teeth, the almost imperceptible furrowing of the brow. Leaning back, I kept my gaze on the male before me, but returned him some space. The confirmation that his rebellion was still in there pleased me.

"Have you wondered why I bought you specifically?"

His lack of response was no surprise.

"The obvious answer really is your handsome face. You might have noticed that I have something of a collection around here. Lovely males of all varieties to cater to my whims. Different sizes and appearances and skills and capabilities and talents. It's quite pleasant. Perhaps you imagine that's why I chose you?"

No answer.

I smiled as I continued. "That's not the only thing you have, or rather had, in common with them, though. I saw something in all of them, that spark of rebellion that refused to die even when exposed to our cruel reality." I paused for effect and to watch his reactions more carefully. "I have something of a reputation for enjoying taming wild humans, rather like a hobby. I suppose I've become rather predictable in my selections, since even the most imbecilic councillors are aware."

I considered my silent male. "You have been doing an excellent job of pretending to be a docile, broken creature, but that first moment you met my eyes, you gave yourself away. Even right now, what do you want?"

He shifted almost imperceptibly, a sign of discomfort I would have missed if I had not been watching so closely.

In spite of his movement, he retained his silence, but I was breaking through the facade. "I bet, even right at this moment, you would dearly love to incapacitate me, find a stake and stab it through my cold heart, sever my head, and drag my body out into the midday sunlight to crumble to ash, wouldn't you? If only you thought you could get away with it..."

Inching forward, cruel monster that I was, I forced him to look at me. "I bet right now, your hands are aching to try to end me, aren't they? You're just biding your time."

I met the rage in his eyes with a smile. Now this was amusing.

"Yes."

I had heard him speaking gruffly from far off, but it was fascinating to have that gravelly tone directed at me.

"Oh, so you can speak, Little Human. Of course, I know you've said a few terse words to my servants, but this was to me, with killing intent. Almost enough to make my still heart flutter. But of course, I'm not someone you're capable of killing, at least not easily."

"Won't know until I try."

I cocked my head. "At least promise you'll make your eventual attack on me interesting. I would hate for your attempt on my existence to be redundant. At a certain point, I just can't help but roll my eyes while I squeeze the life out of yet another unimaginative assassin."

He resumed his silence, but his eyes glowered at me.

"Come now, that is not so much to promise, now is it?"

My Little Human was apparently done with conversing, but I was not done with trying to provoke him.

"But, I did not call you here for this lovely conversation, enjoyable though it has been. I actually summoned you for another reason."

I waited, merely to give him time to think through the possibilities. We both knew I had not used him as a feeder yet and he was likely waiting for that moment. Would he attack me then and there, or would he bide his time?

"Come closer," I ordered, but without compulsion. Our battle of wills would be no fun if I cheated.

His expression darkened as he ran through the possibilities. He had me here, alone, seemingly as defenceless as a conscious vampire could be.