Part 1: Chapter 8

The hall was quiet as I stood outside waiting for the bloodsucker to finish its meal. Every time I began to regain my calm, it riled me up again. Now the leech thought it had some right to order me to do menial tasks for it, escorting, knocking, sending me here and there.

I was also frustrated with Leif's matter of fact reaction to the leech's request for blood, as if it was in some way natural or normal for humans to simply accept such treatment. Was it not incumbent upon us to fight for our survival in a world so against us?

Somehow, the easy acquiescence of the other humans was worse; it was a betrayal of their fellow humans.

The leech was just a leech, perhaps it could not help what it was, but I still wanted to see all of them dead.

Maybe I had been too quick to consider leaving this one alive when I escaped. It might cover itself more firmly in the pretense of humanity, but it was still cold and dead underneath the disguise.

My mind ran through my knowledge of the leech's lair. I was free to wander most of the house and grounds, if walking around wearing a collar that could trace my location could in any way be considered free.

There were objects that could be broken into makeshift stakes everywhere, almost as if the leech was taunting me to make the attempt. Unfortunately, I was certain if one of the chairs wound up with three legs, the leech would be notified.

It was probably too tedious for the monster's assassination preference. Wouldn't want the monster to be bored.

I would like to find a way to destroy it, a very interesting way. It would be pure satisfaction to see that leech's near constant smirk fade into a look of shock as it met its end.

The monster behind the door, sucking the life out of its foolish slave.

But Leif seemed no fool, nor did he come across as a coward. None of this made sense.

The faint sound of voices leaked through the door. I wondered what they were speaking of.

Speech?

I had heard not a single scream from beyond the door. Not a wail, nor a whimper. I frowned.

I could still practically hear Marcel's shrieking wails echoing in my ears from the day Trisha and I were first brought to the bloodsucker's chambers.

Marcel, the ultimate suck up, constantly snarling and glaring at me for the sake of the leech. He disgusted me. In retrospect, I was frankly surprised the leech lover had not been begging for it to drink his blood.

Maybe none of these humans were truly traitors; maybe the leech really was controlling their minds. It might explain their blissful ignorance of the nature of the monster that they served.

Still, the monster had not done anything to force me to bend to its will. Likely, to torture me more.

I gritted my teeth. There had to be a way out of here.

Keeping my focus on deep calming breaths, I stopped thinking about killing the leech. That would complicate my escape. Instead, I needed to figure out how to get out of this damn collar and past the walls.

I frowned. There had not been one good opportunity, yet.

My thinking was interrupted by the sound of hurried footsteps and I looked towards the sound. Blondie was there, walking along with a brunette female.

"Hey, Jamie," he said with an agreeable nod, although I sensed his mind was elsewhere.

The woman gave a shy, nervous smile in my direction as they passed. She was clinging onto his arm.