Part 1: Chapter 35

Even though I could not see it, I could feel the rising sun pulling on me, reminding me that I would soon need my rest. I welcomed the feeling, because those few hours of escape were the only thing that stood between me and my endless hours of dreary contemplation.

Sitting in Leif's office, I was in a foul mood, and I knew it. My patience at not snarling at my humans was waning, and I would only make them all nervous if I acted aggressively.

It was hard not to give in to it. I was furious at Lucas. I understood humans had their frailties, but I ignored and tolerated so much. My plan had been to keep him by my side for the rest of his life, and this disruption made me grit my teeth. I already missed him and the way he would make jokes when he disagreed with me.

This whole situation sucked. I was tired of all the stupid petty council rules that sought to control the way I managed my affairs.

And then there was Jamie. Perhaps it was unfair of me to be frustrated with him since I had spent so much time trying to make him think the worst, but I was nonetheless. It vexed me how he automatically leapt to the worst possible conclusion in every situation. So stubborn, so judgemental, and I was torn between my burning desire to bait him and some pathetic sentiment that wanted him to regard me in a more favourable light. It was not like I had done anything that bad to him.

Leif was busy talking about some matters relating to my holdings and I really tried to care about whatever it was he thought was deserving of my attention. He was droning through some column of numbers. I would have liked to just tell him to handle it—he was more than capable—but I had agreed to keep him busy while they were setting up whatever bit of appreciation they had planned to inflict upon him.

If I had known what a foul mood I would be in today, I never would have suggested it.

I was also terribly annoyed that I had been blindsided by Lucas and Rene's foolishness. They had been hiding their inconvenient little secret for months and I had been none the wiser. Perhaps I had been too distracted, but the fact I had been caught off guard was not pleasant.

"Would you like to see the ledger for the textile mill?" Leif asked me. He sounded hopeful, but I suspected that he was hoping that I would be too bored to endure it and would leave him in peace.

I forced a smile to my face. "Yes, please."

Leif nodded and opened the ledger. I would not be surprised if he was picking the most boring factories to try to get rid of me. Ha, if that was the case, now that I had figured out his game I was never going to leave. I perked up at the thought of defeating him. I could listen to textile numbers all day if that was what it took to win. Figuratively, of course, because I would fall into unconsciousness soon enough whether I wanted to or not. But I could always return and pester him again after...

Well, except I would not want to keep him from his own miserable celebration. I supposed I could resume tomorrow.

"Well, you have one hundred and thirty-two workers on-site as of last reporting. Production is up seven percent, and the outlook for the next quarter is—"

Leif's spiel was broken off by shouts, loud enough that he could not miss them with even his human hearing.

I did not wait for him; I left him in his office while he was still reacting. Most of my humans were looking confused as they attempted to discover or flee the source of the mayhem.

A million possibilities flashed through my mind as I hurried forward, dodging warm bodies as I ran towards the source of the cacophony. Were we being attacked by another vampire? By angry ferals? Was it some accident? Had someone discovered my secrets?