Part 1: Chapter 11

Entertaining vampires sucked. Instead of doing what I would prefer to be doing, I was making tedious small talk and keeping my eye on the interlopers.

It was unfortunate that we did not sleep longer, although it was not really sleep. It was more like a blank rest, a pause in time. I functioned well with only a couple hours a day and my loyal humans guarded me well during those hours when I could not defend myself, doubly so since I had bought my feral Jamie, and triply so with visiting vampires in our home.

Young vampires slept during the day almost as much as humans typically did at night, but the need for such a break shortened with age. Magnus and his ilk apparently needed about five hours when the sun was at its zenith.

I knew this for a fact, because I only got three waking hours of a break from them.

My pleasure at my clever manoeuvring of my uninvited guests was quickly exhausted as I was forced to keep them busy, giving them a tour of my art gallery and any other things I thought might catch their attention. Finally, my games room caught their eye, so we stopped and played a few friendly rounds.

Magnus seemed especially caught on the pool table. "I haven't seen one of these in years," he said, for once his sadistic air taking backseat to what seemed to be nostalgic pleasure.

I smiled as if touched by his feelings. I also had pleasant memories associated with the game myself, but I was hardly going to trade sentimentalities with these three.

We played a few games, which were terribly boring because whoever went first typically sank all their balls and won in short order. If they somehow missed, the other player flawlessly won on an almost half cleared table.

"This is not at all what I remembered," he complained.

"I usually take my shots blindfolded to make it more interesting," I informed them. It was the only way my humans stood a chance. Javier was the best out of my guards, but there was a human who worked in the kitchen named Nate who was even better. He could beat me more than half the time when I was playing blindfolded.

I certainly was not going to tell these three about anything like that. I glanced stealthily at the clock on the wall and waited desperately for the sunset to bring their imminent departure.

It would have been nice if I could have left them alone for my own peace, but this was the best way to ensure they did not get too handsy with my humans.

When Magnus announced regretfully that they should be leaving, I did not smile with the happiness his words inspired in me.

"Well, it was lovely to see you again," I said with fake feeling as I saw them back to their waiting limousine.

"Thank you for your overday hospitality. I do hope we did not keep you from anything important."

I chuckled. "Only entertaining myself with my slaves and they are not going anywhere." I smiled with the wickedness I had trained them to expect on my face. "We've got all the time in the world."

"That we do," Willow agreed. "When you decide to get rid of that delicious guard, I should be happy to take him off your hands."

"Of course, if I ever decide to get rid of him alive," I said and laughed as if there was even the slightest possibility I would ever hand Ian over to her.

Magnus laughed conspiratorially along with me and even Katter nodded his head in acknowledgement.

They left to their vehicle, their poor slaves scurrying in their wake. The humans looked extremely thin and somehow brittle.

I did not know why Magnus and his ilk liked their humans in such poor condition. No wonder Willow had been eyeing up Ian. He had proper meat on his bones like a healthy human should.