Part 3: Chapter 10

Jamie's challenges always put fire in my blood, and I loved the way he would not back down in the face of overwhelming odds. I simply adored this particular human, and the way he kissed with instinctual skill...

But, I supposed we actually did have somewhere we were supposed to be. I sighed and slipped out of Jamie's hold. He did not complain nor did he try to stop me.

"Will you escort me?" I asked.

"Sure."

"It's in the larger meeting hall."

"I know where it is."

"I suppose you do. You have been here for a while, haven't you? Are you happy here?" He seemed satisfied, but I remained curious.

"Yeah. I am."

I smiled at him. "I'm glad to hear that. Would you be happier if you were here and also killing more bloodsuckers?"

"Well, I wouldn't complain."

I imagined he would not.

"You'll probably get your chance, now that everything is a mess. But I rather think it's time to stop admitting it. If anything, I should call the rebellion pleasantly early from now on. Most wars don't come on a conveniently timed schedule."

"You've seen a lot?"

"I've lived through quite a few. Several big ones, and lots of smaller, less defined ones. Not all wars are so cut and dried as this one we're about to begin."

"You don't like fighting."

What had he gleaned from my tone? "Not particularly. I mean, this one is worthwhile. I obviously think that, and I can honestly say I've never started a war before. Still, I would much prefer that humans just simply get along and go about the business of producing more amusements for me. But, that's just how humans are, I suppose. Bickering as much as cooperating and we vampires are no better." I tutted at how everyone was so much more foolish than I.

I would have kept up my delightful monologuing, but we reached the greater meeting hall.

Distinct satisfaction filled me as I took a place amongst them, my beloved humans with that air of angsty worry rolling off of them. We weren't bothering with any sort of hierarchical seating arrangement today, and it was just as well, the chair scraped as Jamie took his seat next to me.

They were already speaking, and while I received many respectful nods, the conversation continued. "This is what we've been working towards our entire lives. Even those who came from outside the walls, what have any of our efforts been for other than survival? You know as well as I that things are getting harder all the time." Rush said with a tiny scowl crossing his features.

"Sure, maybe things aren't ideal, but once we knock the council out of power, everything will get better for all humans."

"Except, maybe we can't win."

I did not want them to get too negative, so I interrupted. "That is a possibility, but I think we'll avoid that. I don't want to get turned to a dismal pile of ash before I see the world outside of their control again any more than the rest of you wish to die. But, like always, I have more than one scheme in the works."

"And what's that?" Tiberius demanded, but the tiniest quiver in his voice gave him away. I imagined he was worrying for his wife and children as much as for himself.

"The reason I called you all here."

A mixture of furrowing brows and widening eyes swept around the table. "But first, everyone needs to get here because I'm only going to say this once. I've no desire to repeat myself any more than I already have to."