Part 1: Chapter 31

I was truly a master of choosing the most excellent humans; I congratulated myself as I watched two of them fighting from the shadows of my north facing balcony.

These two men were glorious specimens, all brawn and muscle and instinctual power. Certainly, they could not match a vampire's strength and speed head to head, but it was that original human strength that our indefinite condition drew upon for power.

The fighters traded blows viciously, both clearly determined to win. My strong and handsome Marcel, fighting as my champion, and my antagonistic Jamie, still as determinedly oppositional as his first day, despite his now usual outward compliance.

I would have this glorious sight burned into my mind for centuries to come, well after both of these men were long dead. Perhaps I should reward Marcel for pulling off his shirt first, since Jamie had then done the same in response. It had not been intended for my benefit, but I could still revel in the sight. I could not take my eyes off those well used muscles straining while he blocked Marcel's deluge of blows.

As I observed, Jamie knocked Marcel to the ground and I watched enraptured as he pinned Marcel and started raining blows down upon him. Poor Marcel returned the blows as best he could, but he was in a bad spot. He tried to get out through a series of movements, but Jamie shifted and manoeuvred his leg over Marcel's upper chest holding him prone. At the same time as he got Marcel's right arm extended in a lock between his legs.

Marcel tried to get his legs up far enough to strike Jamie's face, but Jamie was leaning back and Marcel was prone. He struggled valiantly, but finally Raoul called the match in Jamie's favour and ended the fight.

There was a decent cheer from my humans who had been observing, although probably not quite as loud as it would have been if Marcel had won. For as much as the two grated on each other's nerves, Marcel was well enough liked amongst the other humans. Raoul made them shake hands and they both did so surprisingly easily, considering their earlier antagonism.

Perhaps they had garnered each other's grudging respect. This whole little violent display would probably resound to my benefit, although I would miss the two of them sniping at each other. Still, I would always the delightful memories of those two terribly attractive men demonstrating what they were capable of. I could not help but smile.

I was not truly surprised that Jamie had won, nor was I disappointed, at least not until he walked over and grabbed his discarded shirt, pulling it swiftly over his head. Shame that Marcel had not drawn the fight out longer, in retrospect.

Still, it had been quite impressive. I would almost like to witness Jamie go up against a vampire, except that I did not want his life to be in such peril.

As I retreated back into my home, my mind went to Jamie's quest down in the archives. He was getting quite far through them, farther that I would have expected considering there were far more entries than the first time he had sifted through. Perhaps his impatience was hastening his search.

Still, something had seemed a bit off when I had been looking at the screen next to him earlier. It had not been fear, but his heart had sounded a bit faster than normal. As much as I would like to believe he was excited by my presence, even I could not lie well enough to convince myself of that.

No, it had been something else. Another puzzle, discovering what was going on in that delightful mind of his.

I made my way back to my chambers, thinking about Jamie, his determination, his prowess, his goals. As always, I was far too interested in the doings of a mere mortal, although how could I possibly not be? He had caught my eye from the very start as thoroughly as he was caught in my control.