Part 2: Chapter 24

It had been many nights since I had taken Jamie to New Haven and left him there as a testament to my excellent self-control. To further demonstrate my mastery over myself, I had then proceeded not to go back immediately to see him, in spite of what I desperately wanted.

Stepping back, my level of interest in him was frankly ridiculous. To think that any particular human could have such an effect on me, and I could only swear that it was getting worse with exposure. Waiting for him to get to the point I wanted was pure torture.

I scowled to myself. If I ever encountered a human who had such a great effect on me after Jamie I would have to stay far away from him.

But knowing me, I would not.

It was rather vexing.

Every time I chanced to talk to Leif and most especially when our conversation moved in the direction of New Haven, I could not help but hang on his every word for hope that the particular human might be mentioned, which he rarely was. All I had gleaned was that he was apparently settling in well. Which was good, but far from satisfying.

Still, I was certainly not going to ask for information. I could no longer delude myself that my humans had not seen right through me, but that did not mean I needed to add more fuel to that particular fire.

What I needed was a legitimate reason to return and see him again, something that would not get me additional knowing smirks from my favourite humans. Who knew smirks could be so irritating?

"Take your shot, Javier," I said, watching the human indecisively look at the table before him.

He glanced at me. "Are you trying to make me lose, Mistress?"

I didn't need to go out of my way to make him miss a shot, because judging from the layout of the table and the fact I had already sunk four more balls than him, he was going to lose whether I interfered or not. "Of course not, would that be sporting?"

"Well..."

I rolled my eyes at the human male and watched as he finally took the shot. Javier was not particularly talkative and could be brisk and to the point, but with him it was an easy silence and his words often had merit. He had been guarding my chambers this evening when I had repurposed him for playing this game with me instead.

He sank two balls and then I pushed down my blindfold over my eyes and took my own shot. I almost cleared the table, but missed on the final one. "Drat."

Javier proceeded to sink all his balls and actually beat me. I did not really mind. I liked the element of chance. I smiled at him, since he clearly deserved it.

"Rack 'em up, and we'll have another game," I suggested. He did as I said.

"Any new plans for the next council?"

"No, not particularly," I said. I had been far too active there lately as it was. I would back off and give my opponents time to let down their guards again. "Why, do you have an idea?"

"No, just wondering," he said as I broke, sending the balls careening all over the table and three into the pockets.

"Oh? Why?"

"The capital's been a lot more interesting lately."

I laughed at that. "Indeed it has been. Although, I should think you'd had enough excitement lately." I called high ball and took another blind shot and missed, which proved I was shockingly off my game.

"I live for it."

I chuckled. "And don't you have enough excitement here? With that little blond? How's she settling in?"