Part 3: Chapter 20

None of my advisors seemed very happy about me going to meet with my old council adversary, but I refused to be dissuaded. They had ruined my fun with personally enjoying the council's dismay, so I would take this one small consolation prize.

I argued heartedly for my side of it, not because they could stop me, but because they were happier when I brought them to my side of things. I refused to allow anyone to sweep the selected area in case it was a trap because I was in a much better position to survive such regardless.

It was a small risk. It would have been shocking to find out that Davidson was being duplicitous so I truly was not worried. I was less certain about Naomi, but I did know that her human-loving sentimentalities ran terribly deep. I could not imagine her backstabbing me now without really knowing what I was doing.

I took along Marcel and another of my newest fledglings, Greg, and made my way to the appointed location, an abandoned building a few hours outside my own territory. While I understood the need for secrecy, and while I did not think I had reason to fear, I was well aware of how vulnerable I was. I would be fine against Davidson and Naomi, but if this was a trap I was unsure how many of the other councillors we could overcome.

Both Drak and Jamie had wanted to come with me, but I had refused both of them. I told Drak he was to take my place in the event something went wrong. Jamie was a different story entirely. He was a huge weakness for me and if enemy vampires found out they would know how to most effectively get to me.

I strode into the building with my fledglings following me. I paid careful attention to everything around me, but the building seemed undisturbed but for the sound of breathing further into the building and up a flight of stairs. At least one human then, probably either Davidson's or Naomi's. I hurried inside, following that light rhythmic sound.

Pushing open a door, I was unsurprised to find the two of them sitting on an ancient couch, as still as death, their human sitting in another chair in the corner. "Councillors, how good to see you," I said with my best fake politeness. "I should introduce you to my escorts, Marcus and Greg."

"Good to see you as well, Councillor. Or is that a misnomer now? You did miss the last council meeting, after all, and there are a lot of surprising rumours flying around right now. You did once advise that I listen to rumours to see which way the wind was blowing, after all."

Naomi nodded, her cold gaze affixed on me.

"Oh? Really? As you said, I missed the last council meeting, so I really have not heard any rumours. Please enlighten me."

Naomi frowned. "There's no need for the pretense, Vienne."

"Pretence? What pretense? And what do you mean by having me meet with you in such a rundown building? I dare say it looks like the lair of a serial killer. Don't tell me you're related to the infamous vampire slayer?"

"I'd wager you're more likely to be connected with that slayer than any of the rest of us considering what you've reportedly been up to, lately." Davidson frowned, as if deep in thought.

Well, he was not wrong.

Naomi brought my attention back to her. "The council is aware that you're the one coordinating the attacks on vampire strongholds."

"What? Why ever would I do that?" I put my hand over my mouth as if aghast.

Davidson leveled his eyes at me. "Probably because you hold the council in contempt. Are you trying to gain more power for yourself? I can't help but imagine that your goal is to rule over all of us."

I laughed, so caught off guard I was. "That's actually a really good idea. So is this why you called me here? Are you planning to pledge allegiance to my rule?"