Part 2: Chapter 30

Jamie's interest was obvious, and his words had stopped me from running away and even elicited an answering confession of my own incomprehensible inclinations, yet the questions still lingered in my mind.

What was I going to do when the time came that he was gone from this world? For the first time in my life, I thought I understood why some vampires decided to meet the sun rather than continue searching for the next thing to amuse themselves with, like I always had.

But I wasn't going to waste my time worrying about the future right now. "I just want to enjoy my time with you for as long as I have it," I told him.

"So do I."

My stomach writhed. Was I nervous? What madness was this? I threw caution to the wind. "Will you come with me?"

"Yes."

The word was simple and certain. I did not need more encouragement than that. As I led Jamie through the halls, a thousand witty things went through my mind and begged to come out to lighten the mood, but for once I kept my bloody mouth shut.

His unresisting hand burned in my own, and under the sound of our footsteps was the sound of his heart beating, completely even, but slightly faster than normal, soothing and exciting all at once.

I didn't take Jamie to my chambers, because I knew that my guards would be stationed there, and the whole Carter interruption was more than enough already for this moment. It had appeared as if the cute human's green eyes were about to bulge out of his head and he flushed so brightly it might have made me thirsty if I had not already been well fed.

It was probably rather shocking for him that I had been engaging in anything physical with anyone, even this man who had so captured my attention. None of my living humans had ever seen me take a physical interest in anyone.

Instead, of leading him to either of our rooms, I took him to one of the suites that I maintained far from my humans' sleeping quarters for my occasional vampiric guests. The rooms had the added bonus of being in a fairly deserted corridor, so guards only passed through a couple of times a night. If we were fortunate, no one would even notice we were there, and tomorrow I could send one of the cleaning staff with orders to tidy the room with their mouth firmly shut.

I waited while Jamie opened the door, and he allowed me to precede him. I did so with a smile and a flutter in my stomach, and the door had barely shut before he pulled me into his arms again. I liked this aggressiveness, and it begged me to respond with my own.

There was no telling whether it had been Jamie or I who had manoeuvred us to the bed, but he lowered me down with surprising gentleness considering there was no way he could really hurt me. The action made the quiet cavity behind my ribs sweetly ache in a way that hinted of some deeper significance I would prefer to ignore.

I kissed him and we pulled off his clothing, revealing his active strength, and I reveled in the sight. My clothing joined his, and he paused to caress my skin as it was uncovered.

My hand wavered on the jagged scarring marring his chest. "I really am sorry about this," I whispered. I was so tired of pretending I didn't loath these repulsive markings and the damned council who enforced them.

He shrugged. "Don't care about that right now."

I sort of chuckled, but I was cut short as he turned his attention from his chest to mine, increasing a feeling that felt very much like heat inside of my cold form. It had been a very long time since I had felt this warm. I had a strong urge to hurry him, but I restrained myself to see what he would do without my interference.

His hands moved lower and he explored me, and I writhed at his touch. What he likely lacked in experience he more than made up for with instinct, and I could not summon a single complaint. My hands wandered as well, tracing the sculpted muscles I had so often admired.