Part 1: Chapter 2

The bloodcurdling screams of the man the monster had referred to as Marcel reverberated off the stone walls after he passively followed it into what must be the heart of its lair.

The leech's nature was clear to me, a demon cat playing with its human mice.

There was no way that I would be able to stop it under the circumstances, but I didn't want to give it the satisfaction of the chase.

The only opportunity it would get to chase me was when I was getting the hell out of here, whenever my chance might come.

And it would. This was not the first time that I had been captured by leeches and it would not be the first time I had escaped.

While I was a mere mortal, I knew how to extinguish these monsters. By now, I knew their weaknesses like the back of my hand and I had a good chance in a one on one fight if I had the element of surprise on my side.

The only reason I had been captured this time was because I had been caught off guard and overwhelmed, but these damn leeches were overconfident. Eventually they would slip and I would escape again. I did not smile at the prospect, because I sensed it would take longer before this one let down its guard.

I was not so foolish as they, to underestimate my enemies.

My fellow human, who had said her name was Trisha, was led out of my sight by several of the broken slaves the creature maintained. There were faded bite marks on a couple of their necks, but they seemed otherwise physically unharmed.

Mentally was a different story. None of them had looked weaker or smaller than me, but their pathetic deference towards the creature filled me with disgust. They obeyed like automatons even as one of their number screamed as if he was being tortured to death. The two within my sight continued dutifully at some mindless tasks.

If the leech thought it could teach me to yield like these slaves, it was in for a severe disappointment. I would resist even its control on my mind to the death.

Trisha returned some time later, right around the time that the screams finally faded into nearly imperceptible murmurs. She was wearing clean clothing that swam on her small frame, obviously intended for someone far larger. Her wide brown eyes darted in the direction of the low agonized sounds.

There were slaves on either side of her and one flanked her. The tallest came forward carrying something in his hands and I realized it was a metal collar exactly like the ones they wore. I gritted my teeth, but refused to let my distaste show outwardly.

"You can be traced by this collar, so there's no point in trying to run." I glanced at the slave giving the matter of fact explanation to the new victim, this vile traitor to humanity. He had brown skin and a sturdy form, but none of that was of interest to me, my focus rather on the cowardly resignation in his stance and his attitude.

She looked like she was ready to fight, but she did not move as they placed it around her neck and fastened it. There was a spark in her eye.

Perhaps I would bring Trisha with me when I escaped. She might be a liability, but if that spark did not die before my chance came, I would give her the choice regardless.

Clearly the rest of these men were lost causes already.

I could not help those who did not wish to be helped. The second time I had been captured had firmly entrenched that harsh fact in my mind.

The tall slave sat Trisha down on a couch while others unhooked my shackles or stood watching like sentinels in case I tried to struggle or flee.

They need not have worried; I would be stupid to make my attempt so soon. For now, I would be nothing more on the surface than the broken human that I wanted everyone to see.