Part 3: Chapter 30

Leeches were undoubtedly predatory parasites, but they also had quite a lot of resemblance to vermin. Vienne's description of them as rats proved to be annoyingly true. They could scurry quickly and silently through the shadows, and hid in any crevice they could find.

While we searched for more of the enemy bloodsuckers, we also discovered more prisoners locked down in underground chambers. The guards, apparently understanding that their time was up, surrendered easily. We accepted their surrender, but I had no idea if that cooperation would lead to them being shown leniency or not.

These cages were built of sturdy iron bars, and inside each one were vampires, all in various stages of starvation. None of them were quite at the level where they were completely mad with the need for blood and likely the reason they had not been released to hunt us, but a few looked close and it was called for blood to be brought to hopefully nurse them away from the edge of insanity.

Others, we discovered, were sitting there calmly, like the vampire I recognized as Davidson. He looked ruffled, but his eyes showed no sign of the red of starvation. "Glad you made it in. They locked us up to starve us before I was able to unlock the gate for you."

"Yes, I was rather displeased by that," Vienne said sternly, although I was pretty sure she was messing with him. She seemed to be going back and forth between angry grief at the losses we took and cocky pleasure that our attack had ultimately been successful.

Naomi was in the adjoining cell. "We managed to compel the guards, do you have any idea how much energy that took? You ungrateful—"

"She's messing with me again," Davidson told Naomi in a weary voice.

Vienne grinned. "Oh dear, I do believe that you've finally figured me out. Hey, come over here and let poor Davidson and Naomi out. They have no need to be trapped any longer, they're not in any danger of madness yet."

A human I did not know hurried over and released them with a clang.

"So, it was a success?" Davidson asked.

"Largely. Still haven't located the magistrate, but Ivan and Beckett are close to dead, along with a lot of other councillors. Obviously we shall have to wait until the sun comes out to properly finish the job. Good news though, I dare say you can stay on the council now, there are tons of open seats now even after its reduction."

"Is there even a council?" my sister asked from beside me.

"Good point," Vienne agreed. "We'll have to figure out some sort of governing body to sort out what's left here. I don't know if we can manage democratic just yet... Eventually you'll get warring factions and power struggles and... Perhaps I should flex my privilege and simply appoint someone who I think will run things well..."

"Perhaps you should have considered some of these issues sooner," Davidson said dryly.

Vienne shot him an angry scowl, and I rather thought she meant this one. "I'm sorry I was too busy nurturing a rebellion to think of everything," she drawled sarcastically. "Perhaps next time you might take the initiative and start one instead."

"Perhaps we were too busy trying to fend off your attacks to do anything else," Naomi added.

"Are they always like this?" Angelique whispered.

I shrugged. "I would guess so."

"Everything I did was for the good of my rebellion, more or less. It was all extremely strategic. Besides, it's not as if I have no plans for the new world. I plan to institute New Hollywood, now that I won't be distracted by all the petty council nonsense."