Part 3: Chapter 14

I made my first two fledglings at New Haven, then my third at home, before I began making my way around my properties and letting all my humans in on the plot. The humans who were not a part of my schemes had a wide range of reactions, everything from hilarious outright shock and confusion to considering gazes and understanding nods. Apparently some of them had noticed clues that everything was not as it seemed.

At every location, I gave all my humans the option to flee, although I advised against it. Even during the upcoming war, they were safest under my protection. I did lose a little more than a dozen, which was disappointing, but I allowed them to leave after compelling them to keep their mouths shut. I also reminded them that they were welcome to return if they changed their minds.

As much as losing a single human bothered me, our human recruiters were doing quite well considering I had given them leave to be more free with information, and the numbers of free humans pouring into my lands more than made up the difference. Even if the majority never fought, or even if they never even supported the cause, each one we brought in was more food or forces kept from our enemies. The influx of humans also made up for the dozens I turned from the humans I thought could manage the existence.

Through reports I knew that Jamie had gone to look for his people but had returned alone, although apparently some humans were set to follow him when they were ready.

I missed him, but my time was taken up turning the humans who wanted to make the change. While I enjoyed the attention of giving speeches and the entertaining reactions as I revealed all my carefully kept plans, I was quite pleased to return to New Haven, both because it was the location of my favourite human, and because it was the hub from which we would begin our first assault. It was hard to believe that so much had been accomplished in slightly more than a week since I had captured and killed the council forces.

My time with Jamie was rushed, but I did not care, happy to absorb the warmth of his presence when I could get it. He was also in all the planning strategizing with Connor, but it was not the same because his attention was laser focused on the coming confrontations. I turned more New Haven humans as well, and my nights were no longer so quiet now that I had my fledglings awake with me.

While they did make the nights go by faster, a small part of me missed the solitude of my nights. They had been peaceful, if a bit boring.

Well, the grass was always greener on the other side of the fence, but at least the illusion of greener grass gave you a goal so you did not spend your entire day looking at your own lawn.

"Vienne, we've caught a vampire," Shania said, running into my chamber with her new vampiric speed. I cringed, these ungainly neophytes kept knocking things over in their haste. Young vampires were so hasty, and it seemed like even being my fledglings did not improve matters.

"Oh? And who is it?" I rather hoped it was a council vampire so that I could kill another one.

"We're not sure, but he says his name is Drak."

I rolled my eyes. "His timing really is truly terrible. Don't bring him here."

She shifted apologetically. "It's already too late for that."

"What were you thinking?"

"He was snooping around outside, Vienne," she said.

I groaned and drew out my response in a most melodramatic way. "Fine. Bring him to me."

She nodded, and rushed from the room again. Young vampires and their bloody energy.

It was only a couple of minutes before Drak was dragged before me. I made sure to be lounging indolently in preparation for his arrival.