Part 1: Chapter 7

What had I been thinking, sharing so much information with my new human? I watched the horizon beyond me and tried to decipher my own motivations.

Had I been feeling guilty about how he would be branded?

Surely not. Such a thought was absurd. Certainly the process physically hurt and was probably terrible for the human's spirit, but it was easily survived.

Horrible things were done to humans and branding was probably the least of them.

Regardless of my odd reaction and the human's opinions on the matter, I had not lied. The law would be followed and he would be branded. It was not worth quibbling with the council and risking my position over such a small matter.

He spoke, drawing my attention back to his presence beside me.

"Your words are meaningless. If you want me to be branded, you'll have to force me."

A declaration of war. It seemed Jamie was done with his pretence of apathy and was ready to fight. I liked it. I caught his gaze. "Oh?"

"Oh."

"Very well, that's how it will be. I admit myself surprised, though," I lied. "I rather thought you might simply cooperate, considering you already so kindly offered me your blood."

My reward was a clenched jaw.

"It was a one-time offer."

"Oh. A pity."

"I'm sure you could as easily force me to let you feed as easily as you'll force the brand."

He did have a point. "True, but the matters are completely separate."

"Hardly, Leech."

I did not laugh at his words. "I'm not above the law and the law dictates a brand, so you'll have a brand."

"The law," he said, the derision in his voice blazingly clear. "What you call law is just a feeble attempt for you bloodsuckers to justify what you do."

Again, he was not entirely wrong, but I ignored the point as if he had not spoken at all. I moved closer to him, keeping my eyes directly boring into his. "Whereas drinking your blood has no legal requirement."

I was in his space now. He probably would have liked to back up, but his pride would also not want to give ground. I got close to his neck and could feel that he tensed up.

"Don't get me wrong, Jamie, I would love to use you as a form of sustenance, but there is absolutely no reason that I could not simply keep you here until you're old and grey, never once having so much as touched a drop of your blood."

He scoffed.

"You doubt me?"

"I've seen what your kind does with my own eyes, of course I doubt you."

It was such a challenge. I loved it.

"You've seen terrible things, of that I have no doubt. I suppose that's why you're enraged, human. But, you underestimate me. I'm very, very old, and the reason I achieved my great age is because I'm intelligent, I'm powerful, and I'm controlled."

I leaned closer to whisper to him. "If you want any hope of success when you try to fulfill your promise to me, you had better figure out exactly how much of a threat I am."

Stepping back, I met his eyes again. I adored the way he would try to stare me down fearlessly.

"Blood is not my weakness. Some drink to live, others live to drink. I'm of the former, not the latter, so flaunting that delightful blood around me will gain you no benefit. Although I do enjoy the show, so I won't tell you that you must stop."