Part 3: Chapter 1

I woke in a dim, unfamiliar room and it took me only a fraction of a second to remember where I was and how I had gotten there. Everything rushed back into my mind all at once, memories of sweet sensations, all too quickly past.

My head could hardly wrap around the idea that I had actually been with her, and I already knew I intended to again. I could only hope that she would agree with my plans and if not, I could probably convince her.

It wasn't really surprising she was already gone, even if it was a bit unnerving. I had held her and fallen asleep, late as it had been. We slept opposite schedules, so if this was to be repeated indefinitely, we would never have anything like a normal relationship that humans did together.

Everyone I knew outside of New Haven and Vienne's control would be horrified that I had slept with a bloodsucker, if they would even believe that it was possible I could desire such a thing. Hell, I would have laughed in disbelief if someone had told me what I would do not too long ago.

But, I regretted nothing. She had seemed satisfied, and I was feeling great, so I put the whole matter of what was right or wrong from my mind.

Flashes of memory still continued to replay themselves while I threw on my clothing and tidied up the room, smoothing the blankets as if we had never even been there. I didn't care if anyone around here discovered what we had done, but there was no reason to shout it out either. Carter had gotten more than an eyeful, so unless he kept his mouth shut, rumours would likely circulate before too long.

A smile twitched at my lips as I left the room and made my way to my new temporary lodgings. I had a room to myself since someone new had already been assigned to my old room with Theo, but it was in the same wing. I nodded to a couple of people I recognized on my way to the showers.

Letting the water run over me, my mind wandered back to remembered images of Vienne and I could feel my physical interest in her renew. I had the most ridiculous urge to go and find her again right away and get her somewhere alone.

I stopped myself. There was that morning assembly planned and spending time alone with Vienne, while more than enjoyable, could not take precedence over dealing with all the problems my error in not properly destroying Dana had caused. Guilt swirled and I pushed it away.

I got out of the shower and got ready for the day. In the familiar dining hall where Vienne's guards ate, I took my place unremarked amongst them. Carter was nowhere to be seen, and I was not going to complain about that. While I had already decided I did not care about what the others thought, I also was not really interested in dealing with people's assumptions if the younger guard started blushing and avoiding me.

A wiry young man I did not know was sitting next to Theo and I assumed that Vienne had bought more new humans while I was gone. He looked alert and curious, and I wondered what he thought about Vienne after her flamboyant leech killing the previous day. While I had seen such sights before, never had I had the luxury of watching three vicious bloodsuckers reduced to harmless ash in such a relaxed fashion. Normally I got the job done as fast as possible and then fled for my life.

Still, there was something utterly satisfying in the way she had tormented the torturers of countless humans. She had been beautiful, like a dark avenging angel.

I shook my head and wondered what was wrong with me, besides the obvious. I had never been so prone to daydreaming, even as a child. A lack of focus was exactly the thing that could get me killed in the future. I forced my focus back onto the tangible room around me and dismissed any lingering memories.

I grabbed food from the buffet and took a seat in the most isolated spot I could find so I would not be easily drawn into conversation. While I methodically put food into my mouth, my mind continually returned to Vienne and spun new possibilities of what could happen in the future, like one time with her had opened the floodgates.