Part 2: Chapter 8

I trapped Drak in my games room through the sheer force of my will. We played a number of rounds of various games, which were mildly entertaining, mostly because of our creative handicaps and his vampire reflexes, but he just did not have that competitive spirit that I so enjoyed fighting against. Ultimately, Drak did not care if he won or not. Half of my humans had more killer instincts than my old vampiric friend.

It was difficult to imagine what his sire had seen in him when he had been human, but then when I looked over at those chiselled cheekbones and those clear blue eyes I was pretty sure I could guess precisely what her motive had been.

Still, playing with Drak was somewhat amusing with the added bonus that it kept my mind off of a certain someone who I was not going to think about and it kept his mind off of annoying me about what he thought I should do while I was at the council, although he was still certainly more than happy to sneakily pop it in whenever he got the chance.

I began to suspect he was trying to manage me and I did not like it one bit. That was the tragic job I had given to Leif and I should hardly like to see one of my favourite humans unemployed.

"What if you submitted a bill about basic human rights and dignities?" I scowled under my blindfold. Was he trying to mess up my shot by asking foolish questions?

"Don't be ridiculous." I hit the cue ball and heard it knock into other balls and then the satisfying clunks as two fell into the pockets.

"Human slave unions?"

I pushed my blindfold up to look for my next shot and also so Drak could properly see my scowl while I answered. "Politics is the art of the possible. It would be utterly stupid to waste my indefinite yet precious time chasing my own tail. If you care so much what happens at the council, why don't you just join it yourself?"

He laughed at me incredulously. "Do you really believe for a second that they would let me on the council, and even if they would, do you know how hard it would be to get the necessary support? Not to mention I would need to be sponsored by a current seat holder."

He made good points, and I was actually surprised that he seemed to know so much about the process. Had he considered attempting trying to work his way into politics? He had little hope based on his soft ideology, but if he did manage to wriggle into a seat, it would not be the first time someone made it in politics with little more than a pretty face.

Still, my goals were far more important than humouring Drak's soppingly mushy sentiments. I leaned down to take my next blind shot, this time aiming for the eight ball.

"I've worked extremely hard to get where I am and I'm not at all keen on destroying that over a few of your sentimentalities."

As he replied I took my shot and heard the cue ball slam into the eight.

"Vienne, I know that under your prickly exterior you actually care abou—"

At the satisfying sound of my victory I pushed up my blindfold to scowl at him.

"Ew, Drak. Stay back. You might get some of that gross sticky do-gooderism rubbed off on me."

He looked at me with his stupid blue puppy dog eyes set in that classically attractive bone structure.

"You can knock that off right now. I'm resolute."

"Vienne..."

"Shut up, Drak."

"But you know—"

"Fine," I said with an exaggeratedly long breath and an eye roll for emphasis, "I'm going to support Davidson's bill about increasing hunting restrictions on ferals in the name of blood security."